Baby Kribs...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dazzer87

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've come home to about 20 fry today and was wondering... what the hell do I do now lol?. I went out today and got a divider for the rest of my fish (8x serpae + 2x golden Killi) bought liquifry baby plus food and a hatchery thing just in case. From what I understand kribs are fairly good parents? they have kept the tank clear around them attacking anything in sight so I got the divider which seems to have solved that problem. What age do I leave them with parents?

Atm I can see the male spat out some flakes into the school of fry and seems very protective and the mum is moving them around now and then, will this change? or is it ok just to leave them for a few weeks?

heres a video :) My link

I didn't know they still sold liquifry! That's more or less designed for livebearers, but I'm sure they will enjoy it. The best food for them is Baby Brine shrimp (commonly referred to as BBS). You can hatch them yourself or buy them frozen (frozen is more convenient for someone like yourself). Unless you plan on selling the babies and already have homes lined up for them, I would suggest that you look into crushing up flakes for the fry. That will suffice. I will warn you that while local shops are very willing to buy kribensis fry from people, they don't sell like angelfish and after a couple batches you will notice the demand is no longer there. If left with the parents long enough, the parents will kill them. In the wild, the fry wander off and the parents breed again. In a tank, the fry can't wander off. So when the parents lay eggs again, they perceive the new fry as invaders.

I didn't know they still sold liquifry! That's more or less designed for livebearers, but I'm sure they will enjoy it. The best food for them is Baby Brine shrimp (commonly referred to as BBS). You can hatch them yourself or buy them frozen (frozen is more convenient for someone like yourself). Unless you plan on selling the babies and already have homes lined up for them, I would suggest that you look into crushing up flakes for the fry. That will suffice. I will warn you that while local shops are very willing to buy kribensis fry from people, they don't sell like angelfish and after a couple batches you will notice the demand is no longer there. If left with the parents long enough, the parents will kill them. In the wild, the fry wander off and the parents breed again. In a tank, the fry can't wander off. So when the parents lay eggs again, they perceive the new fry as invaders.

ha yeah I didn't really know what to get. I went into one the few lfs's I have around and they had the liquifry stuff on the shelf with a picture of a female krib with other fish on the logo so I thought that will do :p.
I have frozen brine, bloodworm, daphnia and flakes but If I see any BBS frozen I will pick some up. Sadly there are only 7 fry left; I'm not sure why water conditions are good with Nitrate around 10ppm. maybe the filter got them?

thanks I will monitor the parents and when they look like they are breeding again I will move the existing fry into a hopefully setup tank which I am attempting to cycle atm. :cool:

If they are in a community tank, I would surmise that they have been picked off.

They are In a community tank but I put a divider up on day one so its only the parents swimming around with the fry atm.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back