Baby goldfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kyshiara

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello! My goldfish have been breeding, and I have about 40-50 fry. Half of them are an Orange Goldfish x Sarasa Comet, and the other half an Orange Goldfish x Shubunkin.
The Sarasa fry are around 3 weeks, and their caudal fins are developing nicely. They are in a jar currently, but I plan to move them today.
The Shubunkin fry are around a week old, and they are also in a pot (but not the same one)
I am feeding them what I feed their parents, but crushed up so they can eat it.
Is there anything else I should be doing?
Also, how many roughly will survive? And should I be feeding them anything else?
Thanks!

Baby goldfish can get green water, newly hatched brineshrimp and microworms to eat, in addition to the crushed up flake food you are currently using.

Have some live plants in with them if you can.

They should get small partial water changes every day or two so the water stays clean.

Have an air operated sponge filter in each tank to keep ammonia and nitrite at 0ppm. poor water quality will kill baby fish in a few hours.

If conditions are good, then all the babies can survive. However, you need to look for deformed fish and euthanise them. Goldfish (especially the fancy varieties with short bodies and 2 tails) tend to produce a lot of deformed young due to inbreeding.

Baby goldfish usually start out bronze in colour and after a few months turn god, white or whatever they are going to be. Some remain bronze their entire lives and others change colour when a year or more old.

Thank you! There parents are in a pond.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back