Baby Danio rerio cannot swim

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Octane

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got a bunch of Danio rerio fry for free en decided to grow them myself. They were several generations of inbreed, which explains why most of them didn't make it. After a month or so, I still have a dozen or so left.

However, one of them seems to have an underdeveloped swim bladder, or perhaps no swim bladder at all. It isn't able to stay afloat in the water column and sinks pretty quickly. It has learned to rest on one of the plants near the surface though, and it is reasonably big compared to some of the bottom dwellers.

I wonder if there is anything I can do. I've thought about putting him in a separate tank with a low water level, but he won't be in a group. Should I just leave him and see if he'll survive despite his condition, or should I just 'get rid' of him?

Sometimes fry will become what are known as belly sliders. Almost immediately after hatching the fry go to the waters surface to inhale atmospheric air to inflate their swim bladder. Some fail to do so. Anyway, that's what I've heard. Sounds goofy to me but who knows ?

You should probably euthanize your fish. Clove oil is the best method here is a how to guide...https://fishlab.com/humanely-euthanize-fish/

Thanks, I'll look into clove oil, I believe I've seen it in a store near me.

Sometimes fry will become what are known as belly sliders. Almost immediately after hatching the fry go to the waters surface to inhale atmospheric air to inflate their swim bladder. Some fail to do so. Anyway, that's what I've heard. Sounds goofy to me but who knows ?

Could be, but the symptoms didn't show up until recently. Maybe they don't need their swim bladder as much when they are smaller, so perhaps I just didn't notice it. Anyway, seems like the little guy can't be helped.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back