Baby common goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

XxTokingBeautyxX

Reaction score
My baby common goldfish has a bent tail...should I be concerned? Just got him from the pet store was being sold as a feeder fish
acfa8e250d99a3a4f0085be5dbb62305.jpg
9414fb07e5dfa0dc426b1f8011645640.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for saving him. Feeder fish are so inbred and it is probably genetic. If he can swim, then just love him. How big is your tank and are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? Common goldfish are pond fish and get up to 12” long. You will eventually need to find a nice pond for him or a 100 gallon tank. Anyway, most important thing right now is cycling your tank if you haven’t already. Do you know about the aquarium nitrogen cycle? Please read this:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-first-fresh-water-tank/

Deanasue is correct about cycling it is very important. Years ago before I knew about it I lost several fish. I had several gold fish that grew too big for even my 55 gallon tank so I gave them to a friend who had a pond. It took many year before they were that big. Goldfish are a hardy fish and easy to care for.

Deanasue is correct about cycling it is very important. Years ago before I knew about it I lost several fish. I had several gold fish that grew too big for even my 55 gallon tank so I gave them to a friend who had a pond. It took many year before they were that big. Goldfish are a hardy fish and easy to care for.
Yes I have 2 established 40 gallon tanks, 1 of them with only 1 baby feeder so I bought this other baby to accompany him....tank is cycled as well, all test reading are good too. I just brought him home without taking a close enough look and realized his tail is bent...will he be okay?

Thanks for saving him. Feeder fish are so inbred and it is probably genetic. If he can swim, then just love him. How big is your tank and are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? Common goldfish are pond fish and get up to 12” long. You will eventually need to find a nice pond for him or a 100 gallon tank. Anyway, most important thing right now is cycling your tank if you haven’t already. Do you know about the aquarium nitrogen cycle? Please read this:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-first-fresh-water-tank/
Yes I am aware of the nitrogen cycle, he is in a cycled 40 gallon tank with 1 other baby feeder that is 2 inches big...I just purchased him like that and am wondering if it is normal for his tail to be bent like this

If he is able to swim around alright and has no fish picking on him I think he will be alright.

I've never seen a goldfish reach 12" I have a large pond and the occasional one will get to 8" including the tail, but most are 6" or less. In a tank they won't get to that size very often.

I've never seen a goldfish reach 12" I have a large pond and the occasional one will get to 8" including the tail, but most are 6" or less. In a tank they won't get to that size very often.
My goldfish were a good 6 inches plus when I gave them away.

36EFF13B-39B3-4C9A-8FEE-B2B983F349D7.jpeg
I've never seen a goldfish reach 12" I have a large pond and the occasional one will get to 8" including the tail, but most are 6" or less. In a tank they won't get to that size very often
. I have one in my pond who is over 10” now. Pic attached.

Size of fish - inches: 4.0 inches (10.16 cm) - Average size is 4" (10. cm) but can reach about 7 or 8 inches (18 - 20 cm) if not crowded. If kept in a spacious pond, they canreach over 12 inches (30+ cm). Some hobbyists report their Common Goldfish reaching up to a whopping 18" (45+ cm).
animal-world.com › encyclo › fresh

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back