Baby bunnies!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Honestly for a while I felt kind of bad. I felt kind of like ā€œwell there are so many in shelters, and breeding only adds more rabbits to the world, and what if me raising rabbits makes me one of the people contributing to itā€ but then I realized I am doing my best to educate buyers and be a source of help for them when they need it. Iā€™m not just producing these unhealthy bunnies whoā€˜s parents were siblings and the litters were unplanned and uncared for who Iā€™m selling for $15. I spent months and hundreds of dollars selecting and purchasing and caring for my breeders and Iā€™ve spent countless hours caring for, loving, socializing, and finding good homes for their babies. Ultimately itā€™s on the buyers who donā€™t educate themselves and end up surrendering their bunnies, or the breeders who are just trying to make a few dollars.
I think it's fine to breed if you're doing it right and ethically
the bunnies in shelters had to be born someway, right?

Let this be the bunny thread
This is Hattie, she's been up for adoption for over 4 months (somehow) and I might pick her up in a few weeks!
download (20).jpg

"Freezer camp." Ha ha ha We have raised chickens for food and butchered them ourselves, and probably will again if we ever find our way back to the country again. We took very good care of them and kept them happy and healthy. We just didn't get too emotionally attached. Mrs. Badger and I both have a pretty realistic view of where food comes from, so it wasn't too hard.

But chickens aren't nearly as cute as rabbits; the meat birds are actually fairly obnoxious, personality-wise, and I never miss them once they go to freezer camp (egg birds of some breeds--we had Wyandottes and Rhode Island Reds--can be rather nice, but meat birds are bred to be rather aggressive and eat, eat, eat). I can hunt wild rabbits, no problem, but raising my own, from babies, for meat? I don't know if I could resist cuddling with them, and that's probably when they quit being a meat source and start being pets. :)
People often say they couldn't kill an animal for food, and I sit there secretly thinking the only reason I actually couldn't is because in modern civilisation most of us don't learn the life skills to do such efficiently and humanely anymore. I mean anyone squeamish about butchery who eats meat is a hypocrite. I realise how easy it is for me theorise about though. My mother tells a story of how her parents raised a baby duck in the back yard for xmas dinner. When the day came neither could kill their pet so they got an uncle to do it. Ultimately the family went hungry because no-one wanted to eat the meat.

"Freezer camp." Ha ha ha We have raised chickens for food and butchered them ourselves, and probably will again if we ever find our way back to the country again. We took very good care of them and kept them happy and healthy. We just didn't get too emotionally attached. Mrs. Badger and I both have a pretty realistic view of where food comes from, so it wasn't too hard.

But chickens aren't nearly as cute as rabbits; the meat birds are actually fairly obnoxious, personality-wise, and I never miss them once they go to freezer camp (egg birds of some breeds--we had Wyandottes and Rhode Island Reds--can be rather nice, but meat birds are bred to be rather aggressive and eat, eat, eat). I can hunt wild rabbits, no problem, but raising my own, from babies, for meat? I don't know if I could resist cuddling with them, and that's probably when they quit being a meat source and start being pets. :)
Ohhh wow! I think it would be really neat to be able to have your own food on your own property and know exactly how it is being cared for. I don't think I would be able to butcher them myself, but I think if it were just me raising a group of birds I knew were for us to eat at some point, I would be able to eat them. Honestly I find chickens to be a pain, compared to ducks. We had Silkies for eggs at one point. We raised them from 3 days old, and they were mean! I did not get attached to them one bit. Our ducks, also raised from three days old, were the sweetest things. They would follow us around the yard, and our big drake, Monte, would try to steal my flip flops to get my attention when he wanted food.

I don't know that I could ever eat one of my own rabbits. I could raise meat rabbits and be fine, but I couldn't personally know I was eating one of the rabbits that I went out and took care of every day. I understand that it had a good life and being eaten was its purpose, but it would just be too personal.

Ohhh wow! I think it would be really neat to be able to have your own food on your own property and know exactly how it is being cared for. I don't think I would be able to butcher them myself, but I think if it were just me raising a group of birds I knew were for us to eat at some point, I would be able to eat them. Honestly I find chickens to be a pain, compared to ducks. We had Silkies for eggs at one point. We raised them from 3 days old, and they were mean! I did not get attached to them one bit. Our ducks, also raised from three days old, were the sweetest things. They would follow us around the yard, and our big drake, Monte, would try to steal my flip flops to get my attention when he wanted food.

I don't know that I could ever eat one of my own rabbits. I could raise meat rabbits and be fine, but I couldn't personally know I was eating one of the rabbits that I went out and took care of every day. I understand that it had a good life and being eaten was its purpose, but it would just be too personal.
Yes, if you raise them for that purpose and just get used to it, it's fine. I still think it's nicer than buying shrink-wrapped meat from the store because at least I ensured the animal had a good life.

Ducks are extremely cool. I'd like to try them some day, for eggs not so much for meat. They have such cool personalities; they seem a lot calmer than chickens.

Ducks are extremely cool. I'd like to try them some day, for eggs not so much for meat. They have such cool personalities; they seem a lot calmer than chickens.
do you have a pond in your yard? lol
I don't think ducks would be very happy without a bigger body of water (not just the kiddy pools) xD

do you have a pond in your yard? lol
I don't think ducks would be very happy without a bigger body of water (not just the kiddy pools) xD
Not anymore. :( We used to have a big irrigation pond, but we also had a resident population of foxes, coyotes, and raccoons, so we never tried ducks. Another thing to keep on the "someday when we move back to the country" list. :)

Yes, if you raise them for that purpose and just get used to it, it's fine. I still think it's nicer than buying shrink-wrapped meat from the store because at least I ensured the animal had a good life.

The chicken gets a good life and a humane death, and you get a delicious meal.

Ducks are just the best. We had Muscovies
0B9B629B-D401-4B0E-AB1B-62E22919A882.jpeg
56FE3739-106A-4930-B9DF-D51F9B3DA519.jpeg
CEE0E9EE-826C-4CFD-9593-40956CDDEDD4.jpeg
01769527-0B58-4D47-ABBC-CD808369C2FB.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back