Babies!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HCpetraitis

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've got big news! On tuesday I noticed my white molly was looking kinda funny so then I realized a white baby in the corner. I ended catching her and she had 12 fry. They were kind of half eggs or something. So only 4 are alive today. And, then on Thursday I found that my hi fin platy was skinny again and I FREAKED out! So I'm sad to say I only found three babies! :( But thats alright. I just wanted everyone to know. I'm so happy with all the new babies in the tank! :D

Well let's just call it the first step in experience.... next time you'll save 8 and then 16 and... and... and....

well done.

Well LUdwig. I always usually catch her squared off but I was out of the house so when I saw her with no gravid I quickly put it together and found 3 fry. I looked for like an hour! I wish I could have found like 20 or 30!

Congrats HCPetraitis. If you can isolate the female molly to her own tank, you will have a high fry survival rate. When I move my big female to a birth tank on her own, I get about 30 fry survivors even if I leave her in the tank and don't provide much cover. If I leave her in the community tank, like she is right now, I get no surviving fry. She had a drop about 2 weeks ago and I see no evidence of that drop in the tank. The previous drop was at about 30 and I still have those fish growing out in a 55 gallon. Unfortunately, a breeding net or trap is not suitable for a sword, molly or platy. They can be useful for a guppy but that is not what I want to have survive. My main breeding focus is goodeids that mostly will not eat their huge fry. A "typical" goodeid fry is well over 15 mm long and is not viewed by the parent fish as a meal. That is not the case for the more common livebearers.

Well, right now I kinda don't have room for a seperate female tank. I'm working on expanding for the fry and moms.
:) But, thanks everyon. They are all growing and shockingly.... NO DEATHS so far! I have 4 white mollies and 3 hi fin left!!! :D

Most reactions

Back