Babies Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SorryEh

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So nothing has been out of the ordinary recently with my Electric Yellow Cichlids until I was performing a water change today and almost sucked up a baby!. I quickly got the baby into my breeding net that I've had for years and searched for others. Sadly no other babies were found I suspect the filter got them or the others. I am assuming this baby is very new and hatched last night. What is my best course of action? I've read that it is best to get the baby and the mother in a separate tank which I can do but I don't know. This is all a surprise to me and all feedback is appreciated.

I doubt the fry just hatched, it would have a giant yoke sac if it was. Try posting a picture of the fry, I might be able to guess it's age.

Look for the female, it is possible she has more fry in her mouth still. You can keep the fry in a breeder basket for a couple weeks but the sooner you move them to a larger tank (10gal +) the better. You will need to make sure it is cycled and heated properly to keep the fry healthy. A seasoned sponge filter is best.

The fry will eat finely crushed flakes/pellets. Do twice weekly 50% water changes and they should grow fine.

This is the best I could get. I am purchasing a new breeder tonight that will function much better. I have a 10 gal hospital tank that I should be able to use in a week and a half. I have checked the female and can't see anymore babies but I am keeping a very watchful eye hoping there's more and they did not all pass away. I crushed up some cichlids pellets and put a small amount into the breeder to see if it would take the food, I haven't seen it go for the food yet. Thank you for the quick response

Attachments

• IMG_5244.JPG
    IMG_5244.JPG
    396 KB · Views: 223
Looks to me that little one has been recently spit. It may have been hiding in the tank for a few days before you noticed it though. The yolk sac is completely gone so it should be plenty capable of eating. It can take a few tries before the fry figures out that the pellets are food. I usually swish the food around to make it sink and they seem to eat better that way.

Okay. I just put it in a brand new breeder that's clear plastic so I have a much better view. I am waiting for it to take the food, I saw it approach the food but did not see it eat anything. It keeps swimming around like it wants to get out of the box so I'm hoping its not too scared. I will keep watch on it all night and give any updates.

Edit: I also checked my filter for any signs of deceased fry and found nothing.

Hi

What kind of filter do you have? You may need a pre filter sponge or screen on the intake.

I believe its an Aqua Clear Fluval. I assumed I can just put a safe sponge on the intake? and how do I know I can use a sponge for aquarium use, is there certain things to avoid?

Update: The baby is doing well, It is eating and I'm feeling much better about it's chances.

how exciting! what a fun find and I'm glad it's eating! Please keep us posted!

how exciting! what a fun find and I'm glad it's eating! Please keep us posted!

It's extremely excited. The baby is doing very well, it has scared me the past 2 mornings by being asleep (its mother loves to scare the life out of me by sleeping) I will try to post a video or a better picture of it now that its in a better spot.

Update: He/She is still doing well and gobbling up lots of food. I found some little fake plants I had years ago and cleaned those off and put them in and it LOVES them. The mother is also doing very well, she has been eating A LOT

It is with great sadness I have to report the baby is assumed to be deceased. I got home this evening to no baby and searched for it everywhere. I'm holding an ounce of hope, but as of right now it appears it may have jumped out of the breeder box and was eaten by its mother. I'm going to keep my eye out in the hope that it is very good at hiding. Here's the last picture I took of it on Christmas Eve.

Attachments

• IMG_5444.JPG
    IMG_5444.JPG
    525.8 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
It is with great sadness I have to report the baby is assumed to be deceased. I got home this evening to no baby and searched for it everywhere. I'm holding an ounce of hope, but as of right now it appears it may have jumped out of the breeder box and was eaten by its mother. I'm going to keep my eye out in the hope that it is very good at hiding. Here's the last picture I took of it on Christmas Eve.
oh man...that stinks!
Hopefully it's hiding and you'll find it...I'll hold out hope with you :)

Most reactions

trending

Back