Babies at last

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Thomas A. Anderson

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi peeps, woke up this morning and saw one solitary tiny fry hiding behind my thermometer, put it in a fry trap thingy, searched around and found three more.

They are about 1.5mm long and are almost black.

Are these guppy fry or something else? The only other livebeaers I have are a single female black molly (been single for about 5 months), a single male swordtail and a single female orange platy (had for 5 weeks)

Congratulations! Told you it was only a matter of time, so what does it feel like to be a dad :) ;) (again!!)

If you've got pictures then we could probably ID them, the fact they are black would tend towards them being mollies but mollies can only store the sperm for about 3 births which is usually 3 months. It could well be a wait and see, guppy babies are often almost see through so they may be platies.

What size are they, biggish = mollie smaller = platy small = guppy

I have rescued about 20 now, and they are about 1.5mm long, I have seen guppy fry before and the fry I have look different i.e. they are not see through and look slightly bigger.

I will try and take some pictures later after I return from the lfs with some liquifry but I don't think they will come out very clear as the fry are too small.

Are they all black? 1.5 mm long? never had any of mine that small! :) From what you say being slightly bigger than guppies and the fact you only spotted them this morning I'd reckon they are platies, I guess only time will tell :) These are some platy fry. http://fish.orbust.net/images/fry.jpg

The only thing I am unsure of is that I have never seen pure black platies... :)

Nope, look nothing like those William, and yes they are all black. The only livebearer I have that is black is my molly, my platy is orange and my swordtail is the wrong gender :lol:

Like I said I've never seen pure back platies or guppies so I shall be rooting for the molly ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back