FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi, all. Planing a Sumatran rice paddy nano setup, and looking for an Anabantoid that I can keep with dwarf rasboras. How are imbellus? Would a pair do OK in a 5-6 gallon planted tank? Would they play nice with the little guys?

Avoid dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) and all their colour forms because they are regularly infected with TB or the Iridovirus, neither of which can be treated.

-----------------
Betta imbellis are small and peaceful. They are usually kept in a single species tank and you can normally keep them in groups. I have never kept them with other fish but they should be ok with a small peaceful species of rasbora.

The big issue with these fish is making sure they get enough food so small rasboras would probably work with them.

I've researched all the gouramis (and kept several of them) and the only ones that would fill the bill for this build would be the licorice or the sparkling gouramis. But licorice seem to need a constant supply of live food (um, no, I don't want to work that hard) and sparkling gouramis seem to be pretty fierce on shrimp, which I want in this tank. Honeys and dwarfs are a bit too big, and don't fit my chosen region. (That matters to me because I am that much of a nerd)

Betta imbellis are small and peaceful. They are usually kept in a single species tank and you can normally keep them in groups. I have never kept them with other fish but they should be ok with a small peaceful species of rasbora.

The big issue with these fish is making sure they get enough food so small rasboras would probably work with them.
Sounds like what I'm looking for. Mighty pretty, too!

Seriously fish says then need to be kept in groups, which wouldn't fit in the tank I have planned. True?
I have always kept them in groups of 5, But my observations would say 3 would be Ok, I came to that conclusion only because three hang together and the others didn't give a toss where they were.

Chocolate gourami need really really soft water, as do samurai gourami. I'm pretty sure that the samurai gourami is a more solitary species. If you have soft enough water, I'd say they are worth looking into. Super cool fish.

Chocolate gourami need really really soft water, as do samurai gourami. I'm pretty sure that the samurai gourami is a more solitary species. If you have soft enough water, I'd say they are worth looking into. Super cool fish.
They are cool never seen them

I wish, my water is too hard. Got a RO system, so I might get a 15 gallon and do a nice planted samurai gourami and kuhli loach kinda thing.
That would be great, don't want to get into trouble, but I have found that peat on the base, gravel over it works great, I love under gravel filtration for this type of set up as you get no dead spots that can give you anaerobic bacteria.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back