Azooxanthellate Inverts - Tube Anemone

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sorgan

Has found a new home
Reaction score
11f4b82b.jpg

OK guys so the next part of the ever expanding NPS database is not a coral but rather an azoox anemone!
the Tube anemone is not actually a true anemone and belong to a totally different sub group of anthozoans.

Tube anemones live and can withdraw into tubes, which are made of a fibrous material, which is made from secreted mucus and threads of nematocyst-like organelles, known as ptychocysts.

Cerianthids have a crown of tentacles that consists of two whorls of distinctly different sized tentacles. The outer whorl consists of large tentacles that extend outwards. These tentacles taper to points and are mostly used in food capture and defence. The smaller innner tentacles are held more erect than the larger lateral tentacles and are used for food manipulation and ingestion
(this is from wiki as i couldnt be bothered to re type it)

the tube nem will need to be feed small foods such as brine and mysis shrimp, zooplankton and chooped shellfish, it is nocturnal but will feed if triggered by food.

now they are renowned to have a nasty sting, which i can tell you is very true. being tagged by one of these is not a day ruining event but it is less than pleasant. many people say that they are fish eaters, this is a false idea. as with any anemone they will eat dead or dying fish but any healthy active tank mates will stay well clear off one of these badboys. corals are not so lucky, make sure anything that doesnt want to be stung is well out of the way.

Tube anemones can get big! like super big so be aware of this when adding it to a system. they are also (if feed well) almost bullet proof, they can take some pretty high nutrient levels (high for anemones anywyay) and also will take a sting from anything in good stead, i think this is due to the fact they are so #41#### punchy themselves :lol:

clown fish will not host these! if they try they are likely to end up as lunch.
tube anemones come in a whole array of colors, from radioactive greens to cream to pink to black, if you can see the color there is likely a tube nem in that shade :)

intrestingly enough besides the indo-pacific the tube anemone can be found in our own waters and all around the med!

truly an amazing creature!

They had this amazing almost glowing pink one with bright glowing green inner tentacles at the LFS, it was tempting, but I've no more space anyways :/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back