Azooxanthellae Corals-Sun Corals

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I always wanted to try and keep this coral, but I never gave it a shot.
Mainly because it would be my first attempt at keeping a non-photosynthetic coral and I have metal halides and don't have a lot of space that is shady.

But, I decided to give it a shot and bought a 5 polyp frag at the last frag swap.
I figured a small colony of 5 polyps would be easier to care for than a larger say, 15 polyp frag. (Is this true? I figured that feeding 5 polyps would be easier to start with, yes?)

The guy I bought it from packaged the sun coral in a bag, which also contained a smaller bag with a small GARF purple bonsai frag inside.
He wanted $15 for the Bonsai Acropora frag which was literally a quarter square inch in size, (0.64cm[sup]2[/sup]) which I thought was ridiculous!
I told him I didn't want the Bonsai frag and gave him the bag so he could remove it.
Right then I got a call from a friend who wanted to trade some frags, but was in a hurry.
So, I told the sun coral dude that I would be right back. But of course with my perfect eidetic memory,
I completely forgot to go back and pick up the sun coral frag that I already paid for!!! :X

And of course as I was acclimating all the frags, I was like :crazy: WHERES MY SUN CORAL!!!!!
So I emailed the guy and he was like, "well, I live 45 minutes away, and I don't know if I'm going to the next swap or not, so.... I dunno, sorry dude :devil: :devil: :devil:"
So, long story short, I really want to try and keep this beautiful coral but it hasn't been working out so far! :<

Thank you for all of the invaluable information on the Sun Coral. :thanks:
I REALLY liked it when stated "Suns are only as hard as you make them"
It very unfortunate that a lot of aquarists these days are quite lazy when it comes to their tanks. (Especially when it comes to water changes)
I'm the exact opposite, lazy in general but diligent when it comes to my tank. :lol:

Nick

P.S. I just found the extended list of smilies. B-)

Smaller frags will be easier to look after to a point, obviously they will be easier to feed BUT larger colonies can fare better for a few reasons -
1. Each polyp is connected to the others by a layer of flesh, this let's the whole coral share energy.
This means that every head does not need to be fed everytime to ensure the corals survival however each head will have to be fed regulary or the head will die.

2. Larger colonies can handle die off easier as there are more mouths to take over.

3. Larger colonies will starve slower giving you more time to figure out how to look after it.

Tbh though with good care you can't go wrong :)

Nice write up Sorgan, for those who dont read the journals or havent seen mine heres my black and yellows

I personally find them and easy to keep coral, kept under twin halides and open in the day. As S say you can train them ;)

DSCF4550.jpg

Very nice Ozzie.

The black version of them looks awesome right next to the yellow ones.
In your experience, is this one of the non-photo species that doesn't like being in much light?
Do you have these in the shady or anything?

Nick

shady is better as algae growth on the coral will kill it pretty quick and as a nocturnal feeder any simulation to its natural habitat will improve its health BUT it will still feed if its out in the light.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back