Axolotl

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

connorsbala

Leader Of The Seahorse's!
Reaction score
General: Has the ablity to regenerate limbs. Available in white,brown,grey and gold. They need to be kept underwater at all times and will not come out of the water so no docks or floating islands needed. These amphibians remain in their larval form throughout their lives.

Potential Size:Can get to 12 inches or 30 cms

Temperature:should ideally be 14-20 degres celcius but mine and other keepers have their temp at 22 on average. They can tolerate up to 24 but anything above they shall become stressed. If the temperature is very cold(below 14) then they will become less hungry and their metabolism will slow down. Temperatures above 20,theyre metabolism will speed upa nd they shall become more hungry,so they will need to be fed everyday which isnt a big deal :rolleyes:

Housing:Two can be kept in a 2ft tank (15-20 gal) and singular axolotls can be kept in the same sized tank. Juvenilles can be kept in 10 gallon tanks but will need to be upgraded. The water level will at minimum need to be the lenght of the axolotl but they prefer deeper waters for swimming room.
Caves and hiding places should be provided and shade from the lights,if they are used. Anything like bogwood,driftwood and slate can be used. Plastic or live plants are ideal...they have the tendancy to 'pinball' up and down the tank and may turn up plants.
Use sand rather than gravel as they have the tendancy to swallow gravel whilst eating

Food:Frozen: bloodworm,tubifex,beefheart,mussel and many more things can be used. When they are smaller they can take frozen daphinia and brine shrimp. They can take live: bloodworm (preferably large),tubifex and earthworms. When they are smaller they can take live glassworm,brine shrimp and daphinia. When they are larger they can eat live river shrimp.
Dried food wise,you can try them on sinking catfish pellets,hikari sinking carnivore pellets ad trout and salmon pellets. Theres also alot of food specific for axolotls. They may not except dried foods but you can train them to eventually take it.
You can hand feed them bloodworm and earthworms but they amy become lazy and rely on you for their food if you continue to hand feed them.

Sexing: Males have a swollen clocala area between their two back legs and their tale. Females dont have such a big clocala. People say they reach sexual maturity when they develop what looks like claws on their toes.

Here are some pictures of my axolotls and their setup
Heres the tank:
DSC01528.jpg

DSC01534.jpg

Moonbeam the leuistic
SP_A0132.jpg

DSC01517.jpg

And Shadow the wildtype(i think)
DSC01521.jpg

DSC01535.jpg

DSC01523.jpg

Moonbeam again
DSC01533.jpg

Quick note: I know there is already an axolotl care thread but there are some other things that I think should be added that weren't added to that thread, I can't see to post on that thread but I think I know why.

Common Name(s): Mexican Axolotl, Axolotl.

Scientific Name(s): Ambystoma Mexicanum.

Origin: Mexico.

General Information: Axolotl's can re-generate lost limbs and, although they can't pierce human skin, they are actually venomous. Axolotl's come in 6 different colour morphs, Albino, Leucistic, Black, Wild-type, Golden Albino and Piebald.

Size: Generally in captivity they stop growing at 12" but they can potentially reach 18".

Temperature: Despite coming from Mexican waters axolotl's are generally cold water but they can be kept in temperatures up to 24 degrees celcius.

Housing: One axolotl can be kept in a 2ft tank. For more than one I would recommend an extra foot of space per axolotl. Axolotl's don't have eyelids so they need to have low light an lot's of hiding places. If you want plants please pick live or silk plants because plastic plants can rip an axolotl's thin skin. Sand or bare bottom should be used for the tank because axolotl's have a habit of swallowing gravel and this can kill them.

Food: Axolotl's should be fed on live or frozen food, no freeze-dried food or flakes should be given to an axolotl.
I feed my golden albino axolotl on frozen and live bloodworm, live brineshrimp, chopped prawn(only as a treat).

Sexing: Males have a larger cloaca than females. Females are also plumper around the stomach area than males.

This is my 7-8" male Golden Albino axolotl.
Photo0997.jpg

Photo0996.jpg

Cheers,
Paradise<3!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back