Axolotl tank mates

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Robder

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi - any clue if an axolotl would be good tank mates with an oscar?

Thanks.

@OliveFish05 might be able to share some advice on axolotls and good pairings.

I'm no expert either, but I wouldn't put oscars in with axolotls. They're pretty aggressive fish, and are prone to going after smaller tank mates. Not only this, but they're territorial by nature and don't take kindly to other larger species invading their space.

Hi! Great that you asked! Axolotls need cold water 60-68 degrees F, or 15-20 C, while oscars are tropical, needing 74-82 degrees F or 23-27 C. The temperature difference alone would make them incompatible, but to take it a step further, oscars are known for being very aggressive while axolotls are slow and docile. Their feathery gills, dainty toes, and wavy tails would be nothing but an irresistible snack for an oscar. In addition axolotls do best without any tank mates of any kind due to their specialized needs and sensitivity.

The only tank mate I’d consider for axolotls would be White Cloud Mountain minnows- as feeders.
Axolotls don’t even make good tank mates with each other.

The only tank mate I’d consider for axolotls would be White Cloud Mountain minnows- as feeders.
Axolotls don’t even make good tank mates with each other.
hmm. I have 2 females that seem like they love each other. if they get scared they huddle together :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back