Axolotl genders? Too soon to tell?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello! I have 3x 5-6 inch axolotls living in a densely planted 40 gallon breeder tank. I was wondering if it is possible to tell their genders yet, I did my best to get clear photos! Each photo is a different axie. I am thinking the first two are female and the last is a male, but not sure if it’s just too soon. I have noticed that the axolotl in the third pic is a bit snarky with the other two, so if I have two females and a male I will rehome the male either to a new owner or a new tank!
AD5F61F1-5A69-48F8-A832-CBC0ADCE5B7A.jpeg

4AA1AC56-2F1D-4FDF-9FAE-67CA0DBCB2B0.jpeg

EEC7DEAB-0B96-483F-95F6-E372B6340551.jpeg

Hello! I have 3x 5-6 inch axolotls living in a densely planted 40 gallon breeder tank. I was wondering if it is possible to tell their genders yet, I did my best to get clear photos! Each photo is a different axie. I am thinking the first two are female and the last is a male, but not sure if it’s just too soon. I have noticed that the axolotl in the third pic is a bit snarky with the other two, so if I have two females and a male I will rehome the male either to a new owner or a new tank!
AD5F61F1-5A69-48F8-A832-CBC0ADCE5B7A.jpeg

4AA1AC56-2F1D-4FDF-9FAE-67CA0DBCB2B0.jpeg

EEC7DEAB-0B96-483F-95F6-E372B6340551.jpeg
Great! now I have Axolotl fever!😡

Too young to tell if they are happy together leave them together.
Ok. Should I be able to tell when they are closer to 8 inches? I have been amazed by how quickly they've grown. One has nearly doubled in size since I got it back in November!

Ok. Should I be able to tell when they are closer to 8 inches? I have been amazed by how quickly they've grown. One has nearly doubled in size since I got it back in November!
They are sometimes not that easy to sex until they start spawning. With my three I really had no idea until they spawned. I can remember years ago when I bred them commercially Axolotls' were always a Mistry when it came to deciding who went with who

First two look like females or males that haven't become sexually mature. Third picture looks like a young male just starting to grow a pr :)

Axolotls can be difficult to sex when young and don't usually show any sexual difference until the water starts to warm up. Then the males develop a swelling behind their back legs. The females don't develop this. If yours are in cold water, it could be a few months before they show this swelling, although the white axo in the third pic appears to have the start of it.

First two look like females or males that haven't become sexually mature. Third picture looks like a young male just starting to grow a pr :)

Axolotls can be difficult to sex when young and don't usually show any sexual difference until the water starts to warm up. Then the males develop a swelling behind their back legs. The females don't develop this. If yours are in cold water, it could be a few months before they show this swelling, although the white axo in the third pic appears to have the start of it.
And then some males only get a small pr. and look like a female with a larger...... etc. etc...

The first axie looks fat ngl

This is the problem with axies you just never know who has had a night out. Too much Beer, a big feed of KFC, a couple Of Big Mac's. These guys have legs and love take aways so sexing them becomes exceedingly difficult
They also eat sand and gravel and might have a gut full of both :)

The one in the first picture is Kirby, and he/she is definitely fat. I had just fed them, so he had a big belly full of pellets. I honestly think the one in the third picture is a little scrawny. He hasn’t grown anywhere near as well as the other two.

Most reactions

Back