Awww nuts!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ostrow

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Tonight I saw something growing on my Red Wendtii that is otherwise growing nicely.

Blackish threadlike clumps, small maybe half an inch long, growing up from several leaves.

Is this hair algae? I have an algae eater but I worry he won't eat this stuff as it looks like a thread.

What to do???

try to wash/ rub it off. after you try and identify it

Methinks this:

Brush algae
This grows in feathery black tufts 2-3 mm long and tends to collect on slower growing leaves like Anubias, some Echinodorus and other wide leaf plants. Also tends to collect on mechanical equipment. This is actually a red alga in the genus Audouinella (other names: Acrochaetium, Rhodochorton, Chantransia).
It cannot easily be removed mechanically. Remove and discard the affected leaves. Equipment can be soaked in a 25% bleach solution, then scrubbed to remove the dead algae. Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis) are known to eat this algae and can keep it in check. A more drastic measure is treatment with copper.

From this: http://faq.thekrib.com/algae.html#thread

Hmmm...

i have the stuff on my plants and take a algae scrubber and lightly scrub it off. works alright

An algae scrubber to wipe off the plants while they are in the tank?

yup. do it lightly otherwise you'll damage the leaves

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back