AWC/ATO direct to mains water , what could go wrong? XD

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

adhdan

Reaction score
i want to automate water changes from the sump in my freshwater system, if i fit a float valve connected to mains water in the sump and use a dosing pump to send a small amount of water throughout the day down the drain (about 1 litre every 45minute), evaporation and any water pumped out will drop the float and be refilled with mains water.

My tap water is pretty good and has chlorine not chloramine so small amounts being added throughout the day shouldn't be an issue?
total water volume between tank and sump is 1400litre

thanks
Dan

A regular small drip feed will still accrue a fair amount over time. It will be the case that chlorine of some diluted density will always be in the tank and that can't be a good thing. It's a bit like having a constant bad headache instead of a full blown screaming migraine.
It's best if you can use a dechlorinator in-line to prevent the risk

I would use a spray bar on the in feed so that it will get rid of almost all the Chlorine. The rest of it sounds fine assuming your tank is well planted. I love ideas that are about us not using chemicals in our aquariums.

A regular small drip feed will still accrue a fair amount over time. It will be the case that chlorine of some diluted density will always be in the tank and that can't be a good thing. It's a bit like having a constant bad headache instead of a full blown screaming migraine.
It's best if you can use a dechlorinator in-line to prevent the risk
I wanted to do drip feed but I have to pump the water out over to the next room to get rid of it so wasn’t an option, I can add an inline sediment & carbon filter to deal with chlorine before it gets to the tank

I would use a spray bar on the in feed so that it will get rid of almost all the Chlorine. The rest of it sounds fine assuming your tank is well planted. I love ideas that are about us not using chemicals in our aquariums.
Not entirely sure what a spray bar is ? I was thinking bringing the tap water in over an airstone would help gas off what chlorine that was in the water, but as lynnzer said probably best to deal with it before it hits the tank with the carbon filters,

Not entirely sure what a spray bar is ? I was thinking bringing the tap water in over an airstone would help gas off what chlorine that was in the water, but as lynnzer said probably best to deal with it before it hits the tank with the carbon filters,
Yep, that will work

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back