FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
My 10 gallon 3 year old tank with 5 Harlequin rasboras and 1 neon tetra has a slow leak on two corners of the tank. I am thinking of putting the 6 fish into my Tiger Barb 29 gallon tank temporarily so I can drain and dry the tank to attempt a repair.

Any hints on repairing the tank? Do I just scrape away the silicone in the corner area where it is leaking and then reapply silicone or do I need to remove more of the silicone? Or should I just buy a new 10 gallon tank for about $15.

Last edited:
Are you 100% sure it's a leak? I ask because I thought an old tank of mine was leaking and it turned out to be condensation seeping from under a poorly designed lid.

If it really is a leak, I have never tried to repair one so I'll leave that to someone else.

I would just by a new one. Unless you already have the silicone, that will cost you about 9-11 bucks. When you factor in the hassle of repairing it you're not really saving anything.

I have the proper silicone so if I just need to scrape away silicone on the corner and then apply new silicone, maybe it is worth a try. But just buying a new tank would be less hastle and cheap enough.

Do you think putting the 6 fish in with my tiger barbs would be ok for now?

Check the silicon for white or cream areas or bubbles. Check to see if it's hard or soft and squishy but firm.

If the silicon is white or cream, or has bubbles, or the silicon is hard, then you need to remove that silicon and reglue the sheet of glass on. However, if the silicon is clear and does not have any air bubbles, and is firm but slightly squishy, then just drain and dry the tank, and apply a layer of silicon over the area where it leaks. Leave it to dry for a few days and set it back up.

I believe silicone will not stick to dried silicone.

It worked in my tanks. Try it and see, some silicon might not but the stuff I used did.

If it doesn't then use a single sided razorblade to remove the silicon on the glass and redo it. You shouldn't need to remove the actual sheet of glass unless it's white/ cream or has air bubbles in.

My 10 gallon 2 year old tank with 5 Harlequin rasboras and 1 neon tetra has a slow leak on two corners of the tank. I am thinking of putting the 6 fish into my Tiger Barb 29 gallon tank temporarily so I can drain and dry the tank to attempt a repair.

Any hints on repairing the tank? Do I just scrape away the silicone in the corner area where it is leaking and then reapply silicone or do I need to remove more of the silicone? Or should I just buy a new 10 gallon tank for about $15.
I vote for the latter.

Noooo..... You should reseal the entire tank. It's SIMPLE to do, just a little elbow grease. Do a search on Youtube and you'll find lots of tutorials.

I suppose it depends on what is of more value to you, your time or your money. For $15 I prefer new. :)

Go get a new 10 gallon and put your fish in buckets for now. Save your water too and put it in the new tank. Practice fixing the old one later.
And I'm sure you'll find something to put in it once its done :rofl:

Do you think putting the 6 fish in with my tiger barbs would be ok for now?
Yes. The bioload shouldn’t be that much more. Are your other tigers showing any signs of boredom, or irritation? If so, then it isn’t probably not a good idea to add 1 more. :)

well fish are moved..if anything the tigers are huddling in a corner as they get used to the new additions...the harleys and neon are all doing fine otherwise

moved snail to betta tank and removed all equipment and rocks...next I have to drain it fully with the python and then remove all the sand. Then we'll see if it's worth fixing it.

I have to wonder why it leaked. I am pretty sure the surface it is on is totally flat. It was fine for 3 years. Oh well...we shall see what we shall see :mad:

Last edited:
Yeah, just go out and buy a replacement tank. It's far worth the trouble of actually doing it and allowing it to dry. 10 gallon tanks are so cheap that its worth it to just get a new one.

If you were to reseal it (or any tank for that matter) scrape all of the silicone off and leave anything that is in between the glass. Tape off all the edges and apply new silicone with your finger or a credit card with the corner rounded off. New silicone does not stick as well to old silicone as it does to clean glass.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back