Aviery Rescue Centre

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Your fist stop might be with the local wildlife authorities to enquire about licensing & legalities etc. :)

Good luck :good:

Good idea. When I worked as a vet nurse, we got endless injured birds or chicks in. Those we could, were sent to a wildlife centre - but the majority were actually PTS. Simply because we could not spend the time and money (we were not a charity) to help these animals. And the wildlife centres weren't that close and they just simply were not willing and able to do daily trips to use - we always had to get there birds there in our own time and cost. I personally took on what I could and between the staff we always tried to do the best we could - but there were just never enough people.

So once you find out if you need any special licenses etc. to keep / help / rehabilitate these wild birds, I'd say you should also make yourself known to some local veterinary practices. We were always looking for people like you.

I think its a great idea.I myself have hand reared numerous wild chicks that people have brought to me because the parents have been killed and i manage to get them relised into the wild in time.
It may be worth getting involved with a local wildlife rescue and in no time once they know how dedicated you are and that you have the facilitys for taking birds in for rehab you will find they will be forever contacting you with birds :nod:

Its a really good idea and good luck for it!!

Do make sure you check out all the legalities involved though, as if you take in a 'stray' bird, and you find out it was someones pet who got lost they could accuse you of stealing it or something :blink: I know the rescue i worked insisted that all birds had to have documentation when donated (no longer wanted) and ones found flying around had to be kept for 28 days to first see if an owner came forward before becoming the property of the charity. Check out your local laws and stuff :)

Absolutely love the idea of turning your garden in an Aviery Rescue Centre.
You probably already did this, but hey :p Try getting in contact with De Toevlucht. They too are a rescue center in A'dam, you might be able to get some help from them in if you do/do not need any types of permits, as well as work with them. Maybe you'll be able to take some of the older/injured birds of their hands while sending youngsters you might be getting to them or something?

Hope all works out! Do keep us updated =D

i'd also make sure if you have any neighbours near you that they don't mind the sound of endless chirping! a friend of mine had endless trouble with a neighbour and her aviary, he'd throw bricks over the wall trying to break it, real nice guy!

Yes quite - I got kicked out of the flat I was sharing because of the endless *loud* chirping. Baby birds have the most amazing loud chirps !

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back