Aulonocara ruby reds

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

gadazobe

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Some time ago I bought 2 of them, male and female, (or so I was told) :D They were juvis and would colour up (well the male anyway) in a month or two. Well, a month or two has passed and they both coloured up - to orange - not red. The larger one is the more dominant, keeping the smaller male at bay, but I think there are enough hidey holes to keep them both. Will the orange eventually turn red or is this a different type of fish? They are very beautiful - blue faces and orange bodies, but I did want the red ones :huh:

Sorry to say this is sometimes what happens.

A lot of the rubescens (ruby reds) are actually not red, but a reddish orange.

I have even had some come out a yellowish orange. This, I don't believe is due to overbreeding, but just their nature.

The biggest problem with this color difference is, when people see pics on websites that have these for sale, the pics are usually enhanced to get that beautiful red color. This is NOT a true indication of what this fish really is supposed to look like.

Your fish may get a little more on the red side, but I don't think they will turn the red you have probably seen which attracted you to them.

You may try feeding thema good quality color flake food, just make sure it has NO steroids in it to aid in color enhancement. These are NOT good for the fish and they will produce inferior fish.

Some of these color foods with these types of additives can actually make a female peacock have the same coloration as a male.

It can also make them sterile.

Gadazobe,

Ah i'm picking 2 - 4 fish up next weekend, they are supposed to be starting to colour up now, i wonder what colour though :unsure:

I'll let you know when i get them.

Gaza T

i found some really red beautiful colored red zebras when i first started keeping fish. found out one of the lfs tricks to bring out the color. when i brought them home they were the same boring orange as the ones i had. went back to the lfs and complained and the owner told me to put a blue background in. poof, out came the color. the background does make a difference.

maggie

Semper Fi,

Hope that tip works as i will be putting the fish into a tank with a blue backround. :D

Gaza T

Congrats on the new arrivals Gaz, let me know about the blue background, although there's not much I can do about it. I have "Rock City" in my tank, the back is built up practically to the top and not much background shows at all. Who knows, maybe they will colour up more as they get older. Anyway, I know you'll enjoy your fish, wether they colour up to red or not!

Hey Gadazobe,

My tank is also Rock City, sounds identical to yours. We will wait and see.

Gaza T

Has anyone got a picture of a Ruby Red I would like to know if that is what I have? cant seem to find a picture on the net.

Thanks I will compare it with my fish tonight. :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back