Attaching Java moss to driftwood

Anonyfish

Reaction score
Hi all, I bought some Java Moss which I have attached to some driftwood from my tank with fishing line and added this back to my tank.

My only concern is should I worry about my fish getting caught or doing any harm to themselves on the fishing line in the picture? I didnā€™t want to do this to tight however this has left a gap.

I have Neon tetras and a couple of German Blue Rams who I have had for 4 days. should I get this out and have a go and trying to tie this abit tighter, or is it likely fish will avoid this and best left alone?

If any more photos needed please just let me know.

Attachments

• 605DA453-A26C-4F12-B7DE-6013A334AD48.jpeg
    605DA453-A26C-4F12-B7DE-6013A334AD48.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 79
I wouldn't worry about the fishing line, it won't cause any issues. Also, super glue is a much easier way to attach Java moss to wood and it is completely safe to fish. I personally super glue all of my moss to rocks and wood and there is no mess PLUS no obvious fishing line! I'll include a picture. Also...did you cycle your tank? I just want to make sure. If you didn't...your tank is gonna have a rough next 2 weeks...

Attachments

• IMG_20201209_150942.jpg
    IMG_20201209_150942.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 71
Thank you for your response and the photo. I will definitely use the glue going forward, it looks much neater.

I did cycle the tank and then added the Neon tetras after taking a water sample to my fish store to make sure they were happy with it aswell. A few weeks after I added the German Rams, however I realised afterwards this probably wasnā€™t the best fish to add so early, so I am doing daily water tests to and frequent partial water changes.

Thank you for your response and the photo. I will definitely use the glue going forward, it looks much neater.

I did cycle the tank and then added the Neon tetras after taking a water sample to my fish store to make sure they were happy with it aswell. A few weeks after I added the German Rams, however I realised afterwards this probably wasnā€™t the best fish to add so early, so I am doing daily water tests to and frequent partial water changes.
That's great to hear! I always like to ask this when people are asking questions about new tanks because MANY people don't know that a tank needs cycled...and that can end up ruining the hobby for newcomers. Anyways, yea I really like using super glue but make sure that it is cyanoacrylate only (other additives aren't all proved to be safe for fish). Lastly, I recommend just buying the name brand "gorilla glue", because the cheaper brands don't open as easily and ended up exploding everywhere with the way that I opened them last. The main brands open easily and are mess free?

Gorilla glue is not very good...you could use Dollar Stores glue and it's just as good. If you get GG cheap?ok then. GG product never do well on tests and every time I've used them...they never held anything well. Great advertising is it.
I use mono...you do have to be careful. Hoops of mono can catch Pleco's. Just a heads up on that. Now how you did it looks pretty standard,you always want to get it as flat as possible..that's the only place it attaches. Java moss does not send roots out even 1" above the wood..the stems have to make contact.

Thank you both for the advice, I will make sure I research any product before I buy it. Iā€™ve become pretty OCD about the whole thing and wouldnā€™t put anything in that could harm the fish.

I can admit I didnā€™t do the greatest job with my presentation! I will leave this to see if it attaches, however soon enough I will get some nicer wood and improve this a bit which should be much easier with the glue.

Thanks for the heads up re. Plecos. Unfortunately, I donā€™t have any in at the moment as I have gravel in the tank and have read may not be best for bottom feeding fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back