attach air stone to internal filter

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi. i have a tank with native north American fish. 2 rainbow darters and 2 blue spotted sunfish. one of the darters died suddenly after a water change. i ‘m upset. i bought at Jonah’s aquarium online store. someone there said try using an air stone. my internal filter has a place to attach the aerator bit that came with it.
any suggestions. btw my husband can’t stand the sound of an air pump. ?‍♀️

I have a uniclife airpump its good and its sound is low, internal filters do not provide oxygen like how i have to use an air stone for mine.

I have a uniclife airpump its good and its sound is low, internal filters do not provide oxygen like how i have to use an air stone for mine.
thanks! where did you buy it?

thanks! where did you buy it?
Amazon lol. search ip uniclife double air pump. It makes a verry quiet humming sound at medium and low setting. Comes with eveyrhting. The high setting is kinda loud and too much even for my 75 gal

Amazon lol. search ip uniclife double air pump. It makes a verry quiet humming sound at medium and low setting. Comes with eveyrhting. The high setting is kinda loud and too much even for my 75 gal
thank you.

The workers at fish stores can rarely be trusted to give good advice.

Could you tell us more about the symptoms of the dead fish? Tell us your tank water parameters, tank dimensions, what filter do you have, etc. We can help you figure out what really killed your fish.

The only real reason to get an air pump is if your water doesn't have enough oxygen in it which would make sense if your filter is internal and is not causing any surface agitation. Surface agitation is what oxygenates the water and this is what an air pump does.

If your fish died of suffocation (lack of oxygen) then it would be gasping for air either at the top or the bottom of your tank. The rest of the fish should be doing it as well. Are they doing this?

When you say that your filter has a spot to attach an air hose, is it to power the filter? Some filters are powered by air pumps. Does it have a built in airstone? If we could get a picture and/or the name of the filter we could better help you.

As for air pumps I recommend Aquarium Co Op's USB Nano air pump.

It is almost dead silent and a good choice all around. Just look at the reviews. ;)

Could you tell us more about the symptoms of the dead fish? Tell us your tank water parameters, tank dimensions, what filter do you have, etc. We can help you figure out what really killed your fish.

The only real reason to get an air pump is if your water doesn't have enough oxygen in it which would make sense if your filter is internal and is not causing any surface agitation. Surface agitation is what oxygenates the water and this is what an air pump does.

If your fish died of suffocation (lack of oxygen) then it would be gasping for air either at the top or the bottom of your tank. The rest of the fish should be doing it as well. Are they doing this?

When you say that your filter has a spot to attach an air hose, is it to power the filter? Some filters are powered by air pumps. Does it have a built in airstone? If we could get a picture and/or the name of the filter we could better help you.

It is almost dead silent and a good choice all around. Just look at the reviews. ;)
hi and thank you. my tank is a 30 gallon high. it has a pennplax 600 filter. the tip on top of the filter is made to add the main out put of filtered water. i had changed the water and the next day one darter was dead on the bottom of tank. kinda sad because the other darter was sitting right next to his companion

Attachments

• D72971B5-FB5A-4CDB-A507-EB843DCD720E.jpeg
    D72971B5-FB5A-4CDB-A507-EB843DCD720E.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 100
hi. i have a tank with native north American fish. 2 rainbow darters and 2 blue spotted sunfish. one of the darters died suddenly after a water change. i ‘m upset. i bought at Jonah’s aquarium online store. someone there said try using an air stone. my internal filter has a place to attach the aerator bit that came with it.
any suggestions. btw my husband can’t stand the sound of an air pump. ?‍♀️
Do you dechlorinate the water before adding it to the tank?
You should always dechlorinate any new water before adding it to the tank.

Some internal power filters and power heads have a spot for a piece of airline to go in. One end fits in the outlet of the filter/ powerhead and the other end sits above the water. As water gets pumped out it draws air with it and you get a venturi (air water mix), that can aerate the water.

Some internal power filters and power heads have a spot for a piece of airline to go in. One end fits in the outlet of the filter/ powerhead and the other end sits above the water. As water gets pumped out it draws air with it and you get a venturi (air water mix), that can aerate the water.

thanks Colin
i put dechlorinate additive in as i put the water from my drain and fill Python hose system.
my filter does have a place to attach an airline, i will try that.
btw i sent you a chat message because someone sent me a private message. i can compose a reply but don’t know how to send in that form?

my fish were not gasping for air. i was surprised it died because it had been eating and growing bigger. maybe the water before and after a water change may have been the problem.
my filter does have a place to attach an airline- so i’ll try that for more aeration.
thanks for your help.

btw i sent you a chat message because someone sent me a private message. i can compose a reply but don’t know how to send in that form?

There are private messages (called conversations by the software) which you reply the same was as in threads in the forum.
Chat messages are different. You type the reply then click/tap the enter key/button.

[But Colin_T doesn't like using either of them]

There are private messages (called conversations by the software) which you reply the same was as in threads in the forum.
Chat messages are different. You type the reply then click/tap the enter key/button.
ok thanks.

[But Colin_T doesn't like using either of them]

hi Colin
i turn 71 on friday! i can use a snart phone pretty well. my son didn’t think i could do it. lol
if you want to try one sometime i think you would get it and enjoy it too☺️

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back