Ate a clam

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tinkerbellfurby

Reaction score
About three days ago our red tail catfish who is about 7 in Long he still baby basically I dropped a clam in his tank by mistake that was for the saltwater tank and he ate it he still has it in his stomach but I can still see the bulge he's swimming around normally then he'll go back to his laying his spot will he regurgitate the shell I'm just worried about him I do not want to lose him he's like our baby. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20200511_200706.jpg
    IMG_20200511_200706.jpg
    923 KB · Views: 134
Was the clam shell broken at all before you put it in the tank?
If it was, there is a chance the fish can digest the clam meat and shell.

If it wasn't, the fish won't be able to digest the shell and will either throw it up or have a shell in its gut for a while.

If fish can't digest something, they usually throw it back up a day or two later.

If it does bring it back up, remove the clam from the tank and check the ammonia level to make sure it hasn't caused a problem with the water quality.

It's been 3 days already keep checking to see if he brought it up but nothing. Thank you for all your help and advice

He still hasn't brought the clamshell up and he's not eating like he used to help pick out the food and we put it in the tank but nothing like he used to but he's swimming around perfectly fine he's like rubbing his belly on the sand and he just started doing that so I don't know what that's about I am getting really super stressed and really really really super worried if we lose him my life is over

About the only thing you can try is to lift the fish out of water and stick your fingers in its mouth and see if it can throw up. However, this might not work if the fish is stressed.

I'll let my husband know cuz he's the one that handled him since he was tiny so he's usually pretty calm love my husband goes in the tank I am so sorry if I'm like driving you nuts with this but I really really do appreciate the advice and the help it really means a lot

The only thing we're thinking about was giving him some feeder fish and see if he eats them then if he gets too full he will regurgitate and the shell come off with it like I said I am truly so sorry for complaining and driving everybody crazy with us it's just we had him since he was just a baby and we're just trying to help him

You could try feeding it a lot of food and hoping it throws up. I wouldn't use live food tho because you will end up with bits of fish floating around and they may still be alive after. Then you will have to euthanise the remains of the feeder fish.

White bait, blue sardines and prawn/ shrimp can be bought from most fishing/ bait shops or supermarkets and used instead. Just make sure you remove any food that gets brought back up so it doesn't rot and cause water quality problems.

Great news! Ive been silently following for updates, so happy to see a good outcome!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back