At what age male betta stop building nest ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I ordered plakat male online for breeding. But he seems older and not making bubble nest.

Male Bettas will build bubble nests until they die of old age. Make sure the water is good, not too much surface turbulence. Feed him a variety of foods. Deworm him. Do more water changes. Increase the temperature. Reduce the water level.

Male Bettas will build bubble nests until they die of old age. Make sure the water is good, not too much surface turbulence. Feed him a variety of foods. Deworm him. Do more water changes. Increase the temperature. Reduce the water level.
What is deworming?

Some males just don’t build nests. Then, some females do. I bought a beautiful male betta from a breeder. He said he was 15 weeks old. Turned out to be more like 15 months old. I found out the breeder was known for selling his males at this age after they got too old to breed. My betta became an old man quickly but I loved and cared for him until he died about a year later. Breeding males tend not to live much past 2 years and the breeders know this. Hope you had a reputable breeder. I thought mine was. Good luck!

Fish can get intestinal worms like tapeworm and threadworms that cause the fish to lose weight, continue eating and swimming normally, and sometimes do a stringy white poop. Fish can do this for months and not be too badly affected. In some cases, fish with bad worm infestation will actually gain weight and get fat and look like a pregnant guppy. This is due to the huge number of worms inside the fish.

Deworming the fish means adding chemicals to kill intestinal worms in the fish. Like you do when deworming a dog or cat or other live stock. You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms. If these are not available, look for Flubendazole.

Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 3-4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second and third treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. Clean the filter 24 hours after treatment too.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

The water changes will remove most of the medication so you don't overdose the fish. The gravel cleaning will suck out any worms and eggs that have been expelled by the fish. Repeating the treatment for 3-4 doses at weekly intervals will kill any worms that hatch from eggs. At the end of the treatment you will have healthier fish. :)

Fish can get intestinal worms like tapeworm and threadworms that cause the fish to lose weight, continue eating and swimming normally, and sometimes do a stringy white poop. Fish can do this for months and not be too badly affected. In some cases, fish with bad worm infestation will actually gain weight and get fat and look like a pregnant guppy. This is due to the huge number of worms inside the fish.

Deworming the fish means adding chemicals to kill intestinal worms in the fish. Like you do when deworming a dog or cat or other live stock. You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms. If these are not available, look for Flubendazole.

Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 3-4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second and third treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. Clean the filter 24 hours after treatment too.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

The water changes will remove most of the medication so you don't overdose the fish. The gravel cleaning will suck out any worms and eggs that have been expelled by the fish. Repeating the treatment for 3-4 doses at weekly intervals will kill any worms that hatch from eggs. At the end of the treatment you will have healthier fish. :)
Can we feed dragonfly larvae to betta? :D

If the dragonfly larvae are really small (about the size of a mosquito larvae) then yes. But if the dragonfly larvae is more than 1/2 inch long it will probably attack the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back