At least 10 fish species killed in drinking water spill on Comal River

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
That’s a shame and a shock I would of thought it would of been diluted enough to not harm the fish

That’s a shame and a shock I would of thought it would of been diluted enough to not harm the fish
Same here, I thought dilution would have taken care of it, as well....I've swam in that river, it's COLD, even in the summer time...popular place for "tubing"

They mention chlorine in the article but does Texas have chlorine or chloramine in the water supply?
Either way a large amount of chlorinated water will wipe out fish in rivers, creeks or ponds. That is why you need to dechlorinate new water before adding it to the tank.

Some years ago one of the mining companies in New Guinea hit a natural gas pocket and damaged the soil above it. The gas seeped into Lake Kutubu and wiped out tens of thousands of fish including Melanotaenia lacustris. The locals who live by the lake needed food drops for the next 12 months while the fish stocks built back up.

Good ol humans, screwing up everything wherever they go :(

They mention chlorine in the article but does Texas have chlorine or chloramine in the water supply?
Either way a large amount of chlorinated water will wipe out fish in rivers, creeks or ponds. That is why you need to dechlorinate new water before adding it to the tank.

Some years ago one of the mining companies in New Guinea hit a natural gas pocket and damaged the soil above it. The gas seeped into Lake Kutubu and wiped out tens of thousands of fish including Melanotaenia lacustris. The locals who live by the lake needed food drops for the next 12 months while the fish stocks built back up.

Good ol humans, screwing up everything wherever they go :(
Chloramine...you have to realize, the "crack" reporters at MYSA are everything but factual, and "reporters", they mainly copy-and-paste articles from other news sites

Chloramine...you have to realize, the "crack" reporters at MYSA are everything but factual, and "reporters", they mainly copy-and-paste articles from other news sites
Thanks for confirming chloramine and not chlorine. Chloramine would not readily break down in the water and would simply be used up by coming into contact with microscopic organisms, algae and other higher aquatic life forms.

----------------------
I know that the chlorine in the water has been tested and found safe for people, but sometimes I really have to think...putting all this chlorine in our bodies can't be good for us.
A lot of countries are using chloramine in their tap water because chlorine apparently leaves carcinogenic substances in the water when it comes in contact with organic matter. However, chloramine is made from chlorine so it probably does the same thing. Either way, whilst chlorination does help with hygiene and stop people getting sick from drinking unsafe water, it's long term side effects could be a problem. It's probably best if people filter tap water to try and minimise the chemicals they ingest.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back