🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
hello!
i am going to get some pearl gourami and hopefully some rams,
i have never gotten these fish before, and i am wondering how to:
1. choose a pair of gouramis and rams? how to sex?
2. what do they like to eat? what temp should they be at?
3. what type of ram should i get that will not eat baby fish

I've never had rams--must remedy that someday--but I've kept many pearl gouramis, so I can tell you a bit about them.
1. PGs are more or less impossible to sex until they're grown, and then only by coloration. Rather than a pair, I would recommend 2-3 females per male. Keeps things a lot more tolerable for everyone involved when breeding starte.
2. Mine did great on a staple of high-quality flakes, supplemented by whatever freeze dried or frozen goodies I had around. They aren't picky eaters. Temp 75-80F is fine. I've heard they're comfortable at higher heat than that, but never tried.
3. Just get normal ones and superglue their mouths shut. They won't live long, but they won't eat baby fish, either.*

*this is a joke. TFF does not condone, nor to I personally recommend, saving your fry by gluing your fishes' mouths shut.

I've never had rams--must remedy that someday--but I've kept many pearl gouramis, so I can tell you a bit about them.
1. PGs are more or less impossible to sex until they're grown, and then only by coloration. Rather than a pair, I would recommend 2-3 females per male. Keeps things a lot more tolerable for everyone involved when breeding starte.
2. Mine did great on a staple of high-quality flakes, supplemented by whatever freeze dried or frozen goodies I had around. They aren't picky eaters. Temp 75-80F is fine. I've heard they're comfortable at higher heat than that, but never tried.
3. Just get normal ones and superglue their mouths shut. They won't live long, but they won't eat baby fish, either.*

*this is a joke. TFF does not condone, nor to I personally recommend, saving your fry by gluing your fishes' mouths shut.
thanks that is very helpful, but what if i just get 3 of them and then i find out there is more than one male?
oh yeah i forgot
if i were to get rainbowfish, which types are less aggressive, are threadfin rainbows ok?

thanks that is very helpful, but what if i just get 3 of them and then i find out there is more than one male?
oh yeah i forgot
if i were to get rainbowfish, which types are less aggressive, are threadfin rainbows ok?
If you end up with two males and one female, that might be a problem. So if you can't buy adults, I recommend having a plan for rehoming as needed.

They'd probably be fine with threadfins. Most other kinds of rainbows are peaceful, but very boisterous at feeding (think very colorful, very fast aquatic pigs), so I'd worry that the gouramis wouldn't get anything to eat. Most rainbows do best in hard water. PGs are very adaptable to water hardness; just read up and make sure both will be comfortable.

If you end up with two males and one female, that might be a problem. So if you can't buy adults, I recommend having a plan for rehoming as needed.

They'd probably be fine with threadfins. Most other kinds of rainbows are peaceful, but very boisterous at feeding (think very colorful, very fast aquatic pigs), so I'd worry that the gouramis wouldn't get anything to eat. Most rainbows do best in hard water. PGs are very adaptable to water hardness; just read up and make sure both will be comfortable.
thanks, my water is 7.5 and lower.
ill try to find adults with good fins.
i feed different food at times like flakes and pellets
the guppies are also little pigs but if i drop in a lot at once, the cories can eat some

Regarding rehoming: My LFS was always fine with me buying babies, raising them into healthy, colorful adults, then trading in any of the wrong gender for another baby. Worked pretty well for both of us.

Regarding rehoming: My LFS was always fine with me buying babies, raising them into healthy, colorful adults, then trading in any of the wrong gender for another baby. Worked pretty well for both of us.
oof, the fish store that has these is like 40 minutes away

ill just hope that i can find 3 female one male
can you double check this?
male: sharp fin with little crown tail stuff, color on face and more fin color
female: big belly, nice round fins, stripe of color and only dots on face

ill just hope that i can find 3 female one male
can you double check this?
male: sharp fin with little crown tail stuff, color on face and more fin color
female: big belly, nice round fins, stripe of color and only dots on face
Yep, the males have pointier fins and red on the belly. But I could never really see those traits on young fish. Maybe you're smarter than me. :lol:

Yep, the males have pointier fins and red on the belly. But I could never really see those traits on young fish. Maybe you're smarter than me. :lol:
idk ill just have to get lucky
do they need some air space to do their weird gourami stuff and make bubble nests and breed and that stuff?

idk ill just have to get lucky
do they need some air space to do their weird gourami stuff and make bubble nests and breed and that stuff?
Yep. They like an air space, and they love a good mat of floaters to build nests in. And make sure there's a good cover. It's rare, but they can jump. I lost a whole school of them one time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back