Assassin Snails

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Rlon35

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I keep planted tanks. I was keeping Zebra Nerites, but they ruined my anubias with their egg laying. I now only keep MTSs. The trumpets are growing in numbers due to all the decaying metter present when I started this tank back up, after the recent move. A guy is selling 10 assassin snails. If I buy all ten, will they completely remove all my trumpets, or will they just limit their numbers? also, will the assassins reproduce too much and/or harm some of my plants? Thanks in advance for the responses...

I love the color of the assassins, which somewhat replaces what I had with the nerites, without the algae eating benefits of course.

Assassin Snails won't ruin your plants and they lay one egg a month maybe? You need to hope you get a male and female for that to happen though :lol:.

Not sure if they will take out the whole crew of your MTS's though... maybe someone else can awnser that one.

Goodluck :good:

Hi
Bump for you and thought I'd hijack with a question.

Will assassin snails only go for snails the same size or smaller. read that somewhere.

I keep some Horned bee snails, which I love and have a recent infestation of MTS, which i dislike (hate actually, but it does seem a bit strong to feel hate for a snail....but then with MTS its not just one snail is it!)

Will the assassin's go for the Horned Bee's?

thanks

fiona

I'm also interested as I will get some MTS soon and wonder how to deal with a potential population explosion :)

How many MTS do you think you have?

The chances are the MTS will multiple quickly so the Assassins will keep the numbers in check but not reduce them at a guess, also Assassins may be more interested in normal food if it's available to them.

Make sure you don't over feed and you should be okay, worst case you can get some more MTS easily enough :)

I had a 10 gallon crawling with trumpets and added a single assassin snail. It took a month or two, but the population was completely decimated. They do seem to still be around (and a couple of them are too big to be eaten) but you really have to look for them now

I just found this on a google search for something different. signed up to share that little story. Guess I'll go take a look around at this site now, I'm looking for a good fish forum anyway lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back