April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Wellwhilsy i have temp access to my hdd with the lis it was:

dani tansu
african dwarf frog, snail,#
danileous,
rice fish

on a side note if any of you know linux on a complex level please pm me..

Well I am not so sure the snail eats other snails, there are plenty of tiny ramshorn snails still and the bumblebee is just going around the glass eating algae which makes little sense.

Are you sure it's an assassin? I have a black and yellow striped nerite snail. They eat algae.

striped nerite..JPG

Hmm.. assassin snails are strictly carnivores. They'll stick to the substrate for the most part, as they burrow into it to rest/hunt. So if yours is going around the glass cleaning a lot, its likely not an assassin.

What does the shell look like? Can you share a pic? An assassin will have the infamous siphon on it too, check to make sure yours has one (I attached a screenshot down below of multiple bumblebee assassin for you to compare with).

Also, since they use their siphon to get up in other snails' shells to eat them, if the other snail is too small and their siphon won't fit into their shell, they'll typically leave it alone until it's bigger. Normally they'll go for the common types of 'pest' snails (when big enough to fit siphon into, I've read they'll eat eggs too) or snails their own size and larger. I've heard of multiple assassin snails teaming up against larger snail varieties.

Another big thing to remember about them, is they might eat up to 4 snails every couple days (1-2/day or so). If your other snail population is booming enough, 1 won't get it under control you may have to remove some manually (if that's why you got it). If the population is too small, your assassin might go through it quickly and you'll need to provide feeder snails or something.

I would keep 1 to avoid breeding.

As far as the rest of the thread goes, seemed like a lot of unrelated reading.. so don't think there's anything really I wanna add. I'm betting all the bases have covered by now anyway.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-10-25-06-32-33.png
    Screenshot_2020-10-25-06-32-33.png
    477.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
It looks like it and was described as such, this is the listing. The aquarium has a variety of sized snails still. There are some dead big ones so that fits in with your description... Syphon does seem long. I can try and get a photo later.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It looks like it and was described as such, this is the listing. The aquarium has a variety of sized snails still. There are some dead big ones so that fits in with your description... Syphon does seem long. I can try and get a photo later.

Haha, maybe he's just a lazy bugger =P

I'd just keep an eye on the empty shell count. It's kind of brutal watching them eat, it's like they use their foot to hold themselves so they can pry trapdoors open and start jabbing in there.. but usually I never see it happening..

*Edit: on a side note, I forgot to mention, if you see him climbing high enough to get out above the water line sometimes, you might wanna check your water quality parameters as assassins won't normally do that w/o reason. Maybe on occasion I suppose, I wouldn't expect it frequently however.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
OK well I wanted to update you on the assassin snail project, it was a great success, the populatoin has been put under control. no adult snails surviving. I am curious though if the younger snails can still breed? If not the assassin will wipe them all out.

Most reactions

trending

Back