Assassin Snail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishything

Reaction score
I have a lot of snails in my tank and I would really like to get an assassin snail they have them at my Pets at Home for £5.99, so I am planning on getting just one.

But would it be ok on it’s own or does it have to have others and if so how many?

Also do you acclimatize snails and if so how?

Hope someone can please help thank you for your time.

One is fine on its own, it will only eat one snail every three or four days though, more than one and they will breed but not at a fast rate. You should be able to get them for half that price elsewhere. I would acclimatise the same as fish.

Assassin snails will not eradicate a pest snail problem they can however keep them from being an issue depends on what species of snail is causing you problems (they can eat 2-3 every day or 1 then digest it for upto a week). Pest snail numbers are normally directly linked to food availability and with the exception of Malaysian trumpet snails do not eat detritus so you either have a serious algae problem or are feeding your tank inhabitants too much.

They are normally around £3-4
Fine on its own or in groups, when in groups mine seem to occasionally hunt in packs
Same way as fish, gradually change the water whilst floating the bag in the tank.

I think my two are great, one is a real beast, as mentioned they have limited snail munching abililites, but i dont like the idea of putting any chemical in the tank unless completely necisary, so a combination of the snails and the odd manual snail squish will suffice for my tank. I genuinely think that the other snails are aware that these are in the tank, watching them chase snails is like watching a very slow mo car chase, often resulting in the assassins missing their target, however there is something grosely peverse about watching them catch,engulf and digest their prey! Paid £3 for mine.

Apologies for posting an almost identical thread, didnt see this one! :blush:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back