Assassin Snail... bizarre situation. Help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mae88

Reaction score
This morning 6am i fed my tank as per usual. All seemed happy and quiet on the western front, I had a count up as I usually do (just to be sure).

4 hours later I walk past the tank and the one of my smaller albino corys is disappearing into an assassin snail shell, surrounded by 5 other assassins I netted the fish out. On inspection, it had been completely sucked dry, literally an empty carcass and 1 eye remained. How is this possible? Did they kill the fish? It was fine and feeding 4 hours prior.??? Help! do I need to oust these snails...

This morning 6am i fed my tank as per usual. All seemed happy and quiet on the western front, I had a count up as I usually do (just to be sure).

4 hours later I walk past the tank and the one of my smaller albino corys is disappearing into an assassin snail shell, surrounded by 5 other assassins I netted the fish out. On inspection, it had been completely sucked dry, literally an empty carcass and 1 eye remained. How is this possible? Did they kill the fish? It was fine and feeding 4 hours prior.??? Help! do I need to oust these snails...
Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

I’ve never heard for assassin snails killing fish. They hunt down other smaller snails. It may have been that the snail was eating the remains of the already dead fish? I’m not sure. I didn’t even think this was possible.

I think @Colin_T should be able to help further.

Best of luck!

Most reactions

trending

Back