Arrows In Pier?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kniesh

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Anyone know what type of Arrowanas they have in Pier? Went today and asked and was told Silver but they definately dont look like silver ones to me, more Black? They are the ones about 2-3" and just labelled as Arrowana. I want one to grow up in my 180gallon for about a year but dont want to buy one if its a silver.

Ask them what the scientific name is. There are three South American arowanas: Osteoglossum bicirrhosum, the silver arowana; Osteoglossum cf. ferreirai, the blue arowana; and Osteoglossum ferreirai, the black arowana. The silver and black arowanas are often not nearly as distinct in real life as photos in books might suggest, especially when subadult or older.

Cheers, Neale

Cheers Neale, I was just putting it up here incase anyone had been into Pier recently and knew exactly what they were. My LFS owner told me his friend had been in and bought one this week and was convinced it was a black Aro. As you say its tough finding decent pics of juveniles online in order to determine exact identification. I have been and still am looking online now.

They've got Blues, but these are over 1 foot long, and these ones, whatever they are. I am leaning towards black as I was told at 2-3" the Silver should be nearly transparent and these ones are quite dark. I didnt see any other kind.

Cheers Nell, didnt see that thread. They are very very similar. These seemed to have a black (with a little bit of red) spot just behind the gills on both sides. I cant find any photos with this so I'm presuming its a juvenile thing that disappears.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back