Arius Seemani Question

Bowling_Fleury

Reaction score
I read on a website recently that Arius Seemani sharks are sold as brakish but really like saltwater. Is this true? The tank they're in now is 5 gal fresh and 5 gal sea water. If they want to go full sea water, I can put them in (probably) with this surprise fish I'm getting... (something called a Scooter Benny or something like that.) So has anyone ever tried this before?

These sharks are a brackish water fish. Your sg should be 1.005-1.015 when mature. It will also reach a size of about 14" if kept healthy and should be in a tank of 125gl or more as an adult.

Hexanematichthys seemanni is chiefly a brackish water fish as a juvenile but does frequent coastal marine parts as an adult. In aquaria, you can keep it in high-end brackish water (at least 1.010) with no ailments for life. As an adult you can keep it in full marine conditions but this is no 'better' or healthier for the fish than brackish water. If I were in your situation I would keep it in low-end brackish water as a juvenile with increasing salinity with age, and as an adult occasionally raise the salinity to full marine.

EDIT: Please note that Hexanematichthys seemanni grows to a considerable size and your looking at a 150 gallon tank as a minimum for a small shoal of adults (I even consider that too small for them). Even right now as juveniles the 5 gallon tank is too small, even if they're 1" long they still need plenty of swimming room.

As AMS says, these are brackish water fish, and provided the water isn't fresh, the salinity doesn't matter that much. They are rather large though, and you will need a bigger tank than a 10 gallon one. They should always be kept in groups, as they are very sad and nervous when kept alone. They're lovely animals, but I wouldn't trust an adult not to eat a small dragonet like a scooter blenny. On the other hand, in marine tanks they work fine with tangs, medium sized damselfish, etc.

cheers, Neale

I know about all the tips, I've had them for a while, thanks though.
Well the Scooter Blenny lives in salt water apparently, so if my sharks do salt or if the Scooter does brackish that would be super awesome.

Oh and I've kept sharks with small fish like guppies before and there were no casualties... but I'll build a cave for the blenny before I pop him in. If it all works out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back