Are Uv Sterilisers Worth The Money?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gadgetman1805

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there, my tanks been running for a good 6 weeks now and saw a couple of articles regarding UV sterlisers,

are they worth the money , i really dont want to get into an algae probelm as it spiraled out of control in my old biorb. but now am running much better filtration (external eheim 2028) and want to strive to keep the water as clear as possible.

i do have lots of plants in the tank want to ensure they grow really well, have plant (tropical safe) fertiliser in the tank going too.

should i go for a c02 unit for the plants, or uv sterliser or both?

any input would be grateful thanks!!

tanks 190 litres

For what they do I'd say they are worth the money.

However, as a product engineer, I am utterly staggered at how much a glass tube with a UV bulb in a black box costs. Unbelievable. And double that cost because the word 'Aquarium' appears on the box. So far, the cheapest units out there that I have spotted are 7W to 9W and will cost about 40 quid (incl 'delivery') - these I believe, will suit your tank size.

Now, the 'purests' out there will say that you really don't need a sterilizer in the first place, beacuse if you get things right then you won't get algae. (Bear in mind here that UV also deals with other 'nasties' that can get into the tank which is why I say they are worth the exorbitant cost). Taken from this point of view, the use of UV can be in some ways seen as a bad thing as it covers useful feedback (such as the presence of algae) which would otherwise be indicating that something is not quite right in your tank - go & sort it out.

Plants = lights = algae. Hence CO2 added (to make plants grow, therefore combat algae). However CO2 I believe is not an easy thing to add and can easily lead to bigger instabilites in the tank and even trigger more algae..... CO2 has to be STABLE and this can be awkward to do!

So, if adding CO2 for the first time, and while trying to get it stable, I reckon adding UV will be most effective now to stop that algae getting a foothold i.e. allowing your plants time to adjust to new tank variances.

Andy

For what they do I'd say they are worth the money.

However, as a product engineer, I am utterly staggered at how much a glass tube with a UV bulb in a black box costs. Unbelievable. And double that cost because the word 'Aquarium' appears on the box. So far, the cheapest units out there that I have spotted are 7W to 9W and will cost about 40 quid (incl 'delivery') - these I believe, will suit your tank size.

Now, the 'purests' out there will say that you really don't need a sterilizer in the first place, beacuse if you get things right then you won't get algae. (Bear in mind here that UV also deals with other 'nasties' that can get into the tank which is why I say they are worth the exorbitant cost). Taken from this point of view, the use of UV can be in some ways seen as a bad thing as it covers useful feedback (such as the presence of algae) which would otherwise be indicating that something is not quite right in your tank - go & sort it out.

Plants = lights = algae. Hence CO2 added (to make plants grow, therefore combat algae). However CO2 I believe is not an easy thing to add and can easily lead to bigger instabilites in the tank and even trigger more algae..... CO2 has to be STABLE and this can be awkward to do!

So, if adding CO2 for the first time, and while trying to get it stable, I reckon adding UV will be most effective now to stop that algae getting a foothold i.e. allowing your plants time to adjust to new tank variances.

Andy

Thanks very much andy for your help much appreciated ive seen a couple on ebay.... "fish r fun" typed brand ones 9w uv steriliser for £19.99 plus £2.99 delivery so not too steep!

i think ill leave the c02 thing for now thanks again

I'm getting too old. Completely missed that one! Can you post up a link to that please? I'm sure many people (including me) would like to know of such a product.

Regards,

Andy

PS I'd don't want to come across as being against the use of CO2. It is (after light) the single most important thing that is needed by plants to grow. Without it they simply wouldn't. All I'm am saying is that it's use does come with some minor problems (espcially the cheaper DIY kits) that UV could help with.

Heya!

its okay i didnt think you were coming accross strong being against c02 i appreciate any input just picked up a U.V sterliser of ebay for £17.90 9w plus £5.95 postage (not too bad) considering ive seen some going for £40!

he is also charging £1 for additional bulbs which again is a good price! i hope this helps everyone out in the forum

good luck to everyone and their tanks!!

he seems a pretty reliable seller....good feedback and people have brought of him before in his feedback UV Sterlisers and are v happy!

heres the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...%3D50%26fvi%3D1

(if the link doesnt work this is the item number and description)

9 WATT AQUARIUM UV STERILIZER Item number: 290105923963

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ah, I see: Internal. Yeah, I'm looking for an external one, and for *some* reason they seem to be twice as expensive.

I wonder what else that guy has to offer...

Thanks for the link though...

Andy

Well, in defense of the uv sterilizer producers, it's not just a black light (which is just a dyed regular florescent bulb) it's a special uv bulb that has to be made with the right internal gases/metals and be high enough energy to put out the high levels (really it is pretty high as far as plug in bulbs go) of radiation you need to disrupt dna molecules. It's not only that, but the UV band you have to hit with a sterilizer is incredibly narrow, you have to use a special transformer for the bubl to hit that range, and any power fluctuation going into the bulb disrupts the uv band the bulb hits, rendering it harmless. If you looked at a bare black light, it'd be bright, and you'd have some hazing of your vision (eye can detect uv slightly, small amounts come out of regular black lights, looks like your vision is washing out), but if you looked at a bare uv sterilizer bulb you'd probably either go blind for a day or so, or have WICKED bad welders eye (this is why welders wear welders goggles or masks).

Heya!

its okay i didnt think you were coming accross strong being against c02 i appreciate any input just picked up a U.V sterliser of ebay for £17.90 9w plus £5.95 postage (not too bad) considering ive seen some going for £40!

he is also charging £1 for additional bulbs which again is a good price! i hope this helps everyone out in the forum

good luck to everyone and their tanks!!

he seems a pretty reliable seller....good feedback and people have brought of him before in his feedback UV Sterlisers and are v happy!

heres the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...%3D50%26fvi%3D1

(if the link doesnt work this is the item number and description)

9 WATT AQUARIUM UV STERILIZER Item number: 290105923963

Thanks for the link Gadgetman, i'm more than likely going to order myself one of these. Although I think if you read the description it says that the replacement lamps are actually £9.99 and an extra £1 for delivery, I think. Still great value though. :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the 24 watt version of that UV light. The replacement bulbs actually come with the whole long assembly. It says in the directions to just through out the whole thing and hook up the included powerhead to the new UV light assembly. I like that, since it means I wont have to worry about cleaning out the inside of the plastic case.

I aslo would have prefered an external - but since I can't hook it up to my hob filter, and the externals are so much more $$$, this one does the job well enough.

So do you all find (those that have a UV sterilizer) that the UV prevents your fish getting sick ?

they can prevent illness in the tank yes by rupturing the dna if the bacteria which cause the likes of ich

they can prevent illness in the tank yes by rupturing the dna if the bacteria which cause the likes of ich

I didn't know that! I'm glad i've just ordered one an hour ago. :nod:

Yes uv's can help prevent the spread of infection. However, they should not under any circumstances be used as a replacement for frequent water changes or as an excuse to reduce your tank maintenance...

I use vecton uv's on all my tanks...

ich is a parasite - and you need an extra strong UV light to kill parasites. The 9 watt one will take care of bacteria, but may not kill the parasites.

From what I understand, there are factors including the strength of the bulb, the time of exposure the the light (higher flow rates reduce exposure time and can make the UV less usefull), and the accuracy of the bulb in making the correct spectrum. (which is why the bulbs are supposed to be replaced a couple times per year - older bulbs may no longer be making the optimal frequency of light to kill stuff.

Here is a helpfull article on recommended flow rates and bulb strength - gives a column for algae/bacteria, and another column for parasites.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article....423&aid=440

I've no interest in getting one, but out of curiosity; do they need to be on 24hrs per day or can they be run for say a four hour period per day?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back