Are These Pure Endlers?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lindz

Reaction score
I brought these from maidenhead aquatics and they have a sign saying 'do not mix with guppies' so im guessing they could well be pure? and one of my females had 11 fry 2 days ago, but now there is only 5, the female and fry were in a breeding tank with floating plant and the filter is covered over with a a bit of ripped up tights, ive heard females dont eat there babies but im guessing that is not true! there is no hiding place accept for the plant,

another 1

Attachments

• endler.jpg
    endler.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 46
  • yellow.jpg
    yellow.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 180.JPG
    180.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 37
Most likely not pure, looking at those, but they could easily just be crosses between different strains. They have the hallmarks of specific endler strains, but have too many irregularities to make them true breeding members of those strains (or maybe variation on the strains have been developed more recently, since I stopped following them).

I would have to say no I'm afraid.
The first 2 are tiger endlers, a hybrid with guppies already.
The last one is indeed an endler, but with very washed out colour, which leads me again to think it's a hybrid.

anrt hybrids abit bigger than pure endlers? i thought you could get snakeskin endlers? doesnt have a guppy tail or body, the body is quite thin. and the 3rd picture was when i put him in his tank after the drive home so the colour brightened up abit later.

anrt hybrids abit bigger than pure endlers? i thought you could get snakeskin endlers? doesnt have a guppy tail or body, the body is quite thin. and the 3rd picture was when i put him in his tank after the drive home so the colour brightened up abit later.

Size plays a ver small role, it depends on how they've been fed, looked after and over all age.
Tiger endlers are created by breeding with a snakeskin guppy, but are called tiger endlers.
The third one still looks like a hybrid as I have a small hybrid and he looks almost identical to that.

Source:
I keep Guppy/Endler hybrids and also black bar endlers.

Very few endlers out there these days are pure, same as guppies in reverse.
The small hybrid I mentioned earlier is currently smaller than my adult black bars, my other hybrids are guppies with endler colouring.
Also hate to tell you but unless number 3 develops a longer bar than that soon, I wouldnt hold out much hope for him being a pure black bar, most likely a hybrid again.

Edit:
There are also snakeskin endlers, but the patterning is different. Rather than the horizontal bars you find on yours, there is an over all leopard appearance.

I also found that size has no correlation to the species. I have kept small guppies and large endlers in the past.

The first 2 fish are called tiger endlers and are anything but endlers. They are guppy/endler crosses that have then been line bred to have the color pattern become fixed. Although they are delightful and very pretty fish, you should really consider them guppies as far as care or personality is concerned.
The third picture , the multicolored one without the fancy pattern, has a slight possibility of being a true endler unless you got it from the same source.
If it came from the same source, it is a "throw back" as a breeder would call it. It is showing the characteristics of his original breeding stock and would be considered a cull by a serious line breeder since it would not show the color pattern he was breeding for.

my local maidenhead aquatics also have these and listed as endlers, i have a few black bar endlers and the colour in mine are far deeper and more colourful than the one in your 3rd pic. i wouldnt buy them from thier shop as they are listed wrongly as true endlers.

Again.

1st two pic. Their Tiger endlers (only endler by name) guppy x endler developed around 10 years ago.

3rd pic. Looks more wild/feeder/through back guppy. Call it what ever you want. Unless you get endlers from a known strain from a breeder then you cant call any shop fish true endlers now>

Those of us who do breed registered wild endlers can seldom get much for them HelterSkelter. Most people really do prefer the hybrid guppy crosses with fixed characteristics. A true wild type endler is about as much in demand as a wild type guppy, if such a thing still exists with all the guppies people have released into the wild.

Most reactions

Back