Are These Males Or Female Blue Rams?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i can't really tell from the pictures. It can be difficult to tell and the LFS you got them from may not have really known the differences between males and females.

One way is that the spines on the dorsal fin will extend farther on the fins of males than on females, whose spines don't extend far beyond the dorsal fin at all (in my experience).

Another way is that males are generally larger than females and have more yellow on the chest, and females have pink bellies.

The last way that i know of sexing blue rams is the black spot in the center of the fish. If you look at that spot and there are irridecent blue spangles in i, you have a female fish. If there are no spangles in the spot, or there is no spot, you have a male.

[depending on the size of the tank] you may not want more than one male as they are territorial and tend to be aggressive to their own kind.

As far as I can tell they look like all male, none have pink bellys (Female). I use the irredescent dots on the black spot, cannot see any females that way.

I successfully along with the lfs (who is good) managed to get a male and female, however whether they will pair is another thing.

Can you take three back and look for a pink belly in the shop. The only definate is a pink belly on the female.

Good luck

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back