Are these live bloodworm?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

James7

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just been cleaning the pea puffer tank and was shocked to find these! Iā€™m assuming they are bloodworm, I have been freezing frozen bloodworm to my pea puffer but surely the larvae could only have come from the fly?

Definite ā€˜vā€™ in the tail and a darker head.

Attachments

• 7D67DC58-F34A-4BB8-B9AD-4EBC4889D025.jpeg
    7D67DC58-F34A-4BB8-B9AD-4EBC4889D025.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 53
Yep, theyā€™re blood worms. Happened to me 2 years ago. Midge flies got in your tank and laid eggs which are now larva or bloodworms. The fish like them but they can stain a wall if you hit the fly. No big deal. You can either clean them out or let your fish enjoy them until Fall when they will die off. Mine came from my pond on my patio. Do you have water standing outside? They love to live in the filter media. I live in Texas too. :)

Thanks I was pretty sure they were, the tank is for a single pea puffer who at the moment will only eat frozen bloodworm, I will put them back in as Iā€™m actually away this weekend so now I am happy he will be able to find himself a snack (hopefully he will leave the 2 new amanos alone, they are twice his size!). I just hope he will take frozen again afterwards!

I donā€™t have any water outside, but for a month or so the back door was left open in the unusually sunny U.K. weather, the tank is covered though with only a small cut out for the heater and filter leads!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back