Are these good results for almost 2 weeks into cycling?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ammonia used to be at like 1 but now it's back to nothing. Maybe because I've been a little sloppy and forgetful with adding it. I added more after these results.

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 58
Seems alright to me but do have in mind that your water is quite hard and acidic, so you will have to chose your fish around that.
And if I may ask how is the algae growth in the tank?

If you plant your tank 30-50% of the volume, you would then be able to put fish in your tank. Unless of course you are planning on Cichlids or the like

Have you been following the guide? Did you get the ammonia up to the stated 3ppm to start and then add more when the instructions say to? How often have you been testing the water for ammonia and nitrite?

Would recommend you have another read through of the guide and follow it. If you haven't been adding enough ammonia, or letting it get to zero too soon, you're significantly slowing down your cycling process as well as reducing the total amount of BB that will be growing which will in turn effect how well your tank is able to cope when you put the fish in.

Seems alright to me but do have in mind that your water is quite hard and acidic, so you will have to choose your fish around that.
And if I may ask how is the algae growth in the tank?
This tank is for my betta from a community tank that didn't work out. No algae growth so far.

Have you been following the guide? Did you get the ammonia up to the stated 3ppm to start and then add more when the instructions say to? How often have you been testing the water for ammonia and nitrite?

Would recommend you have another read through of the guide and follow it. If you haven't been adding enough ammonia, or letting it get to zero too soon, you're significantly slowing down your cycling process as well as reducing the total amount of BB that will be growing which will in turn effect how well your tank is able to cope when you put the fish in.
There's been a lot of confusing info online, so I didn't know what guide to follow. I haven't been testing that often, this was my first test for everything else, the ammonia I have tested before. The reason I haven't tested much is because I only have a limited amount of test strips, test kits near me are sold out. It sucks to hear I might be slowing down the cycle. Ammonia was .25 on the first test, then went up to 1 until today at 0. This is my first time cycling a tank by myself.

If you plant your tank 30-50% of the volume, you would then be able to put fish in your tank. Unless of course you are planning on Cichlids or the like
So, do you mean I can't put in fish unless it's heavily planted? This tank is 5 and a half gallons for a betta. I do want it to cycle first but idk if I'll be able to afford and keep alive lots of plants.

There's been a lot of confusing info online, so I didn't know what guide to follow. I haven't been testing that often, this was my first test for everything else, the ammonia I have tested before. The reason I haven't tested much is because I only have a limited amount of test strips, test kits near me are sold out. It sucks to hear I might be slowing down the cycle. Ammonia was .25 on the first test, then went up to 1 until today at 0. This is my first time cycling a tank by myself.

Definitely lots of confusing info online! The guide on this forum is easy to follow, so have a read through that and probably best to start at the beginning of it: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

So, do you mean I can't put in fish unless it's heavily planted? This tank is 5 and a half gallons for a betta. I do want it to cycle first but idk if I'll be able to afford and keep alive lots of plants.
If I may say you don't need real plants, unless when using the walstad method, so if you don't you'll need a filter. (don't get me wrong, live plants all the way!!) But some silk ones to stimulate proper behaviour, basically the fish will feel safer and will be more intent on coming out to see you knowing it has places to hide, also when bettas sleep (idk If this is the right word) they like to lie down on broad surfaces, by example leaves, so some more rigid broad leafed plants might help.
To come back to water parameters the Betta should be fine in those conditions, naturally they live in more acidic water.
Sorry for the longnes just good to spread info.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back