Are these cory eggs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mick85

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So I've torn down my community tank and all the fish are in a holding tank for now until I decide what I want to do with their tank. I've got 7 Panda Corys in there and I just noticed a few little white blobs on the glass. Are these Cory eggs?? If they are what do I do?
16304980949521460063866186405755.jpg

20210901_221129.jpg

Sorry, have only just seen this! A bit late, but could still help in the future;

It's a personal decision what to do... if you'd like to try and rear them you can either remove adults and other fish from the tank they've been laid in (easiest if you're using a smaller breeding tank) and leave the eggs there to hatch, and raise the fry in that tank. Or you can gently collect the eggs by rolling them off the glass with a finger or credit card (I hold a fine net beneath the eggs when I do this now, to catch any that fall or don't stick well enough to my finger), transfer them to another container, and try to improve the hatch rate by rearing them yourself.

If you go this route, it's important to use the cycled water from the parent/breeding tank, maintained at the same temperature, so a lot of people float or attach the egg container inside the parent tank to make that easier. I jerry rigged this inelegant contraption when my bronzes spawned unexpectedly;
DSCF4044.JPG

While not the prettiest, it worked! :D

Air flow is important for egg health and to discourage fungal growth, so add an airstone. Alder cones or methylene blue can be used to try to prevent fungus too. Any eggs that do turn fungused need to be removed so it doesn't spread to other eggs.

Can send you links to articles by experts about how to raise wrigglers and fry once the eggs hatch if you'd like. Look for info by Ian Fuller, since he's a world famous corydoras expert, and created CorydorasWorld.

The great news is that even if these eggs didn't make it, once they've spawned once, they're likely to do it again! So you can be prepared for the next batch, and there are tips and tricks to help induce spawning if you'd like to produce some fry! mainly to condition the adults well with lots of good food like live and frozen insects, then replicate their spawning season in the wild by doing some large water changes with water that's 2-3 degrees cooler than the tank temp. They spawn in the rainy season, so this usually does the trick.

Please update with what happened with these eggs!

Thanks for that info! I tried the same thing you just suggested by floating an old tissue culture container in the tank with an airline going into it but only 1 egg was actually a proper egg. The rest looked like eggs from the outside but when I tried to get them off they were actually flat against the glass not round so maybe they got eaten and that was just residue left over? I gave the egg a few days to hatch but nothing happened so my guess is it wasn't fertile but at least now I know they can breed and I can work out a plan of what to do if it happens again. Once again thanks for the reply and the info!

Thanks for that info! I tried the same thing you just suggested by floating an old tissue culture container in the tank with an airline going into it but only 1 egg was actually a proper egg. The rest looked like eggs from the outside but when I tried to get them off they were actually flat against the glass not round so maybe they got eaten and that was just residue left over? I gave the egg a few days to hatch but nothing happened so my guess is it wasn't fertile but at least now I know they can breed and I can work out a plan of what to do if it happens again. Once again thanks for the reply and the info!
My platys tend to bite my Cory eggs, so if it isn’t round it’s probably the residue

My platys tend to bite my Cory eggs, so if it isn’t round it’s probably the residue
Yeh I'm guessing it would have been my honey gourami. There's also red eye tetras and harlequin rasboras but they only really eat stuff off the surface and as it floats down.

No worries! I got so excited when mine spawned, and when eggs hatched! I love hearing about other people's cories spawning too, more people to talk cories with! :D

Yep, that sounds like residue from eggs that the other fish beat you to I'm afraid, it happens. But now you know that they're ready and able to breed, you can totally plan for it, and set up a breeding tank or tote if you want. When I collected bronze cory eggs the first time, I collected over 200 eggs, but only 18 of those hatched! Lost a lot to fungus, a lot were infertile, so I think it's normal to get some fertile and some infertile with each spawning.

You gotta make a thread if they spawn again! :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back