Are these both males?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

despreauxb

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
At first I thought because the one had more color it meant male but I'm sure. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20220907_143053.jpg
    20220907_143053.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220907_143100.jpg
    20220907_143100.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220907_143132.jpg
    20220907_143132.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220907_143132.jpg
    20220907_143132.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 37
It is almost impossible to tell unless they are actually breeding when their breeding tubes will show the difference.

What is their behaviour like? Do they get along or does one chase the other?

It is almost impossible to tell unless they are actually breeding when their breeding tubes will show the difference.

What is their behaviour like? Do they get along or does one chase the other?
I just them yesterday, one seems to be more timid but the other has been out exploring the tank

If they are both males, once they settle in one will probably bully the other as he'll have decided the tank is all his.
Two females may coexist peacefully but there is still the possibility of conflict.
One of each could result in a dead female. These fish need to choose their own mates and a random male and random female from the store tank won't necessarily get on.

Watch them over the next few weeks and their behaviour towards each other will tell you if you need to separate them or if they get on together.

If they are both males, once they settle in one will probably bully the other as he'll have decided the tank is all his.
Two females may coexist peacefully but there is still the possibility of conflict.
One of each could result in a dead female. These fish need to choose their own mates and a random male and random female from the store tank won't necessarily get on.

Watch them over the next few weeks and their behaviour towards each other will tell you if you need to separate them or if they get on together.
Should I just remove the timid one and place it in my other tank?

Leave them for now but watch them. If possible sit a few feet away from the tank motionless for at least half an hour until they forget you are there. They'll behave normally and you'll be able to tell if the one is being bullied. If there is bullying, yes separate them.

I think I saw them locking lips quick as I leaving but they generally stay away from eachother. I'll keep an eye on them the next few nights
Leave them for now but watch them. If possible sit a few feet away from the tank motionless for at least half an hour until they forget you are there. They'll behave normally and you'll be able to tell if the one is being bullied. If there is bullying, yes separate them.
Them

I think the fish in the first photo could be a female, as with all Cichlids you need to have an escape plan if things start to turn to custard.

My escape plan with my Discus is that I have a 300-liter tank that I could have up and running within 24 hours if I needed to. Always assume that at some point on your Cichlid journey that you may need to bail out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back