Are These Aquatic Plants?

Californialivin

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was told petco sells plants that aren't aquatic at all and they can harm your fish if you leave them in your tank is that true and are these plants i have in my tank from them all fresh water plants?

Attachments

• IMG_0235.JPG
    IMG_0235.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 149
The plant on the right in the first picture looks like a type of sword fern which is aquatic. The other two do not appear to be; they look like the same plants I mistakenly bought from Petco. One(the plants on the left in the first picture and in the last picture) died before I was able to say it. The green plant with the light green trim appears to be a type of non-aquatic bamboo which lived for a long time in my aquarium, but began to decay. I managed to save it and it now happily lives in my bathroom.

The solid green is a type of Amazon sword. The green and white striped is a dracaena, not aquatic. I have one living on my windowsill as well. Live and learn. Make sure you take it out as it will begin to rot and foul your water.

I have the receipt i person all the small green plants are the same from the first picture. Do you all think i should keep them and see if they're swords and let them grow? one of the big plants looks to be a sword too. Not a good looking one but i think it is one i'll take a pic of it all by itself and you guys can tell me what you think.

Thank you all for your help I was worried i was gonna have problems finding out whats what.

How about these are they brazilian sword or something different? safe for the tank or no?

Attachments

• IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 108
Found out what i have: Spathiphyllum Tasson and it's classified as a brazlian sword that can grow submerged or partially out of water. Though one site said it shouldn't be considered an aqaurium plant. Do you guys think i should keep the 4 compacto and one full sized one this sword? I also exchanged the dracaena for a melon sword plant at petco the melon is a legit aquatic plant from what i've read i'll get some better plants at the LFS tomorrow.

Here's a picture of the tank without the stupid petco plants in it.

Attachments

• IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 108
Keep a close eye on the large one. It almost looks like a peace lily, which definitely is not aquatic.

I looked up a peace lilly and the leaves are glossy and dark green and it looks like it has shoots that have a pod inside them that open into white flowers this plant is a lighter shade of green and slightly transparent when you see it in person looks like the name i mentioned in the post above which is still not a completely aquatic plant. If it looks as if it's dying off i plan on removing all the petco plants if they look susupicous

if i remember rightly the dracaena, the green and white one is not an aquatic plant BUT i think it will grow happily on the side of the tank with the roots inside the water but leafs outside of the water? not sure if anyone has given this ago or not?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back