Are snails "smart"?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mcostas

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Because mine seem smarter than some of my other aquatic pets.

I had a couple of mystery snails and was rewarded with an egg sack, that I saw right before I stepped on mom, who apparently crawled out of the tank after laying the eggs. I wanted a couple snails in each of my tanks and this was an opportunity to get them without chancing a trip to the store, I only had to raise 100 to get six.

So I've been culling the numbers as they grow and spreading them around different tanks. The one in the 10 gallon have grown the fastest, they get more food than the ones in the other tanks.

They also seem smarter, they seem to have picked up on the daily routine. I have an oyster shell that functions as a food bowl (the shrimp couldn't figure out how to get over the tall edge of the actual food bowl) and when they see me preparing the shrimp food they all zoom over to the area I refer to as the "food court", a space in the middle of the tank between the driftwood, where I place most of the food.

It seems like they are more aware of what's beyond the tank than the shrimp. I also love watching them climb to the top, then "parasnailing" to wherever it is they want to land.

I never intended to have a snail tank and most will have to be moved as they grow but maybe I should just make a snail tank?

Because mine seem smarter than some of my other aquatic pets.

I had a couple of mystery snails and was rewarded with an egg sack, that I saw right before I stepped on mom, who apparently crawled out of the tank after laying the eggs. I wanted a couple snails in each of my tanks and this was an opportunity to get them without chancing a trip to the store, I only had to raise 100 to get six.

So I've been culling the numbers as they grow and spreading them around different tanks. The one in the 10 gallon have grown the fastest, they get more food than the ones in the other tanks.

They also seem smarter, they seem to have picked up on the daily routine. I have an oyster shell that functions as a food bowl (the shrimp couldn't figure out how to get over the tall edge of the actual food bowl) and when they see me preparing the shrimp food they all zoom over to the area I refer to as the "food court", a space in the middle of the tank between the driftwood, where I place most of the food.

It seems like they are more aware of what's beyond the tank than the shrimp. I also love watching them climb to the top, then "parasnailing" to wherever it is they want to land.

I never intended to have a snail tank and most will have to be moved as they grow but maybe I should just make a snail tank?
Very interesting! We should add this to the data archives of snails
1648581586312.png

I have one Nerite. When I first got him he would sit unopened on the bottom of the tank for days it seemed before moving about. Later if I moved him from one tank to another he would sit un moving again. But I move him fairly frequently between three different tanks, and I transfer him and he will immediately open up and start feeding. I believe he learned that when I move him it is to an area with more food, and he remembers this. If true that would indicate memory and intelligence.

They train humans to house them in a well maintained environment, free of predators, rent, and plenty of food. Oftentimes with a chance to breed.

Don't know about smart, but it sure ain't dumb.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back