Are shrimp a good idea?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Quin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
To start this off, I absolutely love shrimp but both times I've tried to keep them they died off for one reason or another. The first time I believe it was because I hadn't finished cycling my tank thoroughly, or maybe there was an ammonia spike. The second time my betta ate them during his temporary relocation.

I have a mixture of algae (old) and biofilm (newish) in my 10g betta tank that is bothering me. I don't want another bigger snail as I would rather keep the bioload of my tank as minimal as possible. Is it safe, humane, and healthy to bring home two ghost shrimp? The tank is big enough for them to easily hide from my betta, and they will have ample food. I don't really want more than two because there are a lot of spots I couldn't reach if they died.

Could this idea work?

Ghost/grass/glass shrimp are bred as feeders, they usually overbred, are in poor health, and don't live long.

I'd try a couple of amanos instead, if you want keep shrimp, but they are not going to remove all of the visible algae, nerite snails would be better for that, and even they won't get it all...you have to adjust your lighting, get more live plants, or clean it yourself.

When I read the tittle I thought you are going to start new tank of shrimp ....

Algae well getting 2 shrimp wont makes any different .. unless you have an army of them ... plus its better to keep up or increase your water changes regime to clears up algae ..

Thank you guys for the input! To be honest I wasn't really hoping they'd be a superpower, I just wanted an excuse to have shrimp :p

Thank you guys for the input! To be honest I wasn't really hoping they'd be a superpower, I just wanted an excuse to have shrimp :p

LOL, understood...any of the Neocaridinas would work as well, if that's the case....Red Cherry Shrimp are the most popular of the species, but you can get them in different colors...they aren't fussy with water params, reproduce easily, and are just fun to watch

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back