Are screws safe to use in aquarium?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello! I bought 4 pieces of woods and want to attach it all together.

8EDE7C9F-1E2D-412C-8651-7B51CD3E9DB6.jpeg

And as the title says, I saw a lot of video on youtube where they attach driftwood with screws and wonder if they are fish safe or not, don’t they leech iron?

Hello! I bought 4 pieces of woods and want to attach it all together.

View attachment 144653
And as the title says, I saw a lot of video on youtube where they attach driftwood with screws and wonder if they are fish safe or not, don’t they leech iron?
Use stainless steel screws, no problem

There will hardly leech iron into the tank cause the corrosionlayer prevents that.

In early days nails were put in to "fertilize" the tank with iron, but it wasn't a succes cause of the mentioned layer.

Same thing with lead btw

An easier alternative is to use cotton wool and superglue (liquid, not gel). Put the cotton wool in between the parts you want to bond and soak it with the superglue. It sets pretty hard and is totally fish safe. Also no risk of accidentally splitting the wood with screws.

In early days nails were put in to "fertilize" the tank with iron, but it wasn't a succes cause of the mentioned layer.
New knowledge!
An easier alternative is to use cotton wool and superglue
I have tried that with stones, there’s always a portion of cotton left after glue dried out.

Looking again at that wood, I still think aquarium silicone 'glue' would be the best option.
Once you've have some of this wonderful substance, it comes in handy for attaching plants to wood and, of course, any later tank repairs.

I use Cyanoacrylate gel based glue works better than the liquid version.....the gel does not try to escape everywhere that you do not want it or leave that unsightly whitish blob of excess glue where you cannot fail to see it.

I do have some Mopani with a plant growing from it (yes, a real plant, unusually for me since I have no green thumbs) and that has a suction cup attached with a stainless steel screw in one of my aquariums and have no issues at all.

But given the choice of adhesive method, I prefer the Cyanoacrylate gel...quicker and less mess.

I use Cyanoacrylate gel based glue works better than the liquid version.....the gel does not try to escape everywhere that you do not want it or leave that unsightly whitish blob of excess glue where you cannot fail to see it.

I do have some Mopani with a plant growing from it (yes, a real plant, unusually for me since I have no green thumbs) and that has a suction cup attached with a stainless steel screw in one of my aquariums and have no issues at all.

But given the choice of adhesive method, I prefer the Cyanoacrylate gel...quicker and less mess.
U give GREAT advice

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back