Are plecos worth the bio load?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jimmyjam923

Reaction score
I bought a common pleco to try to help control algae in my tank and then realized most of the time they dont really eat algae at least not compared to the golden algae eater I had before that was excellent at keeping algae in check. Anyway it seems these guys grow super fast and poop like mad so it gotnme thinking are they really beneficial amd worth keeping if thats the reason to have one. Whats your thoughts on this?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Depending on what the GH and pH of the tank is, and the tank dimensions, there are numerous species of suckermouth catfish that eat algae. One of the more popular species is the common bristlenose catfish. They grow to 4-5 inches long and are very good are eating algae. There are other types as well including the Zebra Ancistrus, Peckoltias, Whiptails (Loricaria sp.), Twig catfish (Farlowella sp.), and Otocinclus catfish.

Plecos are definitely worth it. I have a clown pleco who cleaned up my entire tank filled with algae in a few days.

You don’t want a common pleco in a tank. They can grow well over a foot long. A bristlenose pleco is what you need as they only grow to about 4”.

What size tank do you have?

It's true that plecos just eat and poo constantly and will contribute heavily to the bio load.

Smaller plecos like a bristlenose will still eat and poop a lot, but there is a huge difference between a 4 inch fish and a 14 inch fish.

I say yes - plecos are worth it if the correct species is in the correct tank. I would not go with a common pleco.

Bristle nose plecos are much more worth it than than original plecos, as @Deanause said they only grow to approximately 4”. :)

Something in post #1 should be mentioned. It is never a good idea to acquire a fish to deal with some issue or problem, such as algae. Each fish species has its own needs and behaviours, and you could be introducing worse problems than what you intend to cure.

If you like a species, and it happens to provide a useful service along the way, fine. Make sure you give it what it needs to be healthy, and enjoy the benefit.

When it comes to algae, most fish that do eat algae are very fussy as to the species of algae they will eat. If you were dealing with brush/beard algae, no species of pleco will eat this.

Unless your tank is enormous, in the 5-6 foot length range or even larger, you should return the common pleco. At 18 inches this is a very large fish with a very heavy impact on the bioload.

Byron hit the nail right on the head. Getting a fish to deal with a specific problem seldom works out. When and if the problem algae is gone you have an unwelcome boarder. Instead improve your aquarium maintenance so that algae does not become a problem to start with.

8661040F-6B80-4F20-9E14-A544E6FD40AA.jpeg
Also something to consider... pleco’s can live to be 20 years old. For some that may be too long of a commitment. I personally love BN pleco’s and bend backwards for mine. I moved him across country to keep him with me when I moved he had an aerator, heater, etc hooked up in my vehicle, drove like an old woman just so I could keep him with me. He is devious and loves to terraform every night which I “fix” on my weekly water change when I rake. He also has driftwood, caves, and is fed high quality tablets and veggies. And yes, he poops all the time. If you don’t want to add driftwood, caves, get pellets or wafers, feed veggies, deal with the amount of poo they can produce, or have a fish for 20 years you don’t want a pleco.

He is devious and loves to terraform every night
Love that description. Mines just the same - I got him through the mail in 2004.
Yes of course he's worth it. He has kept me amused for many hours over the years. But I definitely don't consider him to be a working lad.

Mine hide most of the day and only come out with at night. One lives in my cool water tank with my Goldie’s and one lives with my tropical fish. Both tanks stay between 70 and 75F.

I found the bristlenose is the best cleaners and don’t grow very big.

There is a few different types of bristlenose spices, I really like the peppermints.

The females in this species are more active in the aquarium as the males hide in caves and holes waiting to spawn.

One of my female Peppermint bristlenose
48C400C1-52D3-4D88-AEFC-ABD33811E135.jpeg

Beautiful pleco. Wow!

Thank you! I have 2 the same size round 8cm Long and I think I have a male and female but not sure just yet.

They are by far my favorite sucker mouth!

I recently got myself 2 L168 wild butterfly plecos and they don’t grow much bigger than a bristlenose, they also look amazing!

L168 wild butterfly pleco
0B76E7F0-4486-4D46-AAAC-41C4E2D7EED4.jpeg

You really should enter that last one in the next FOTM contest, it really caught everyone’s eye! :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back