Are mystery snails bothered by sand?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Maddie Dalsing

Reaction score
i have a mystery snail tank, I originally got the tank with the normal fish tank rocks, you know the ones that come in a bunch of colors, but I recently rehomed the fish after letting my snails have babies and I wanted to make the tank just a mystery snail home and a lot of the YouTube videos I watched for mystery snail research, most people had sand, so I switched to sand in my tank about 3 days ago but I keep noticing that my bigger snails are staying along the walls of the tank and I haven’t really seen them on the bottom much, they were on the bottom all the time with the rocks, so does anyone know if sand isn’t good for them? Or maybe they need to get used to it? I’ve had them for half a year or so with rocks in the tank, any help with substrate info for mystery’s would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• CE0BD34F-C65C-4C64-AD9C-B8AF4CC1E50C.jpeg
    CE0BD34F-C65C-4C64-AD9C-B8AF4CC1E50C.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 106
This is the sand that I bought

Attachments

• 8E172934-85FF-446A-8C1A-787D7EFB3397.jpeg
    8E172934-85FF-446A-8C1A-787D7EFB3397.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 80
Sand is fine for them.

Did you wash the sand before putting it in the tank?
Sometimes it has organic matter in it and this can cause ammonia readings, which will stress the snails. Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Do a 75% water change using dechlorinated water, and see how they go.

Thank you! I’ll do that first thing when I wake up, I tested the water and everything came back perfect but I’ll be changing the water anyways to be safe

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back