FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

maddi7777

Reaction score
I have a betta, fancy goldfish, and dwarf gourami. I used to house my King Betta in a 10 gallon tank, but due to abrupt complications he is now housed in a spare 5 gallon tank I had on hand. My dwarf gourami is residing in a 10 gallon tank, but I’m pretty sure they need 20 gallons. My fancy goldfish is in a 20 gallon, which I believe that’s okay. My problem is that I am aware that both my betta and dwarf gourami are in tanks that are too small, but my parents refuse to let me get a larger tank, even though I have a job. I do however do a 50% water change every week and check the parameters using the API master test kit. I am also planning on designing fully planted tanks for all of my fish. I am wondering, are these tanks simply too cruel, or is it okay that they are in smaller tanks then needed?? I am not worried about ammonia buildup or anything as such, I am just worried about the actual size of the tanks. Can anyone help??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 182
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 180
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 172
I agree with NCaquatics. For the situation you're in you've made the right calls choosing the right fish for the tank, although the situation isn't ideal, you've definitely done the best that you can.

A pair of dwarf gourami can be in a 15 gallon at it's minimum so long as the tank is 2ft long. If your parents would permit you to replace the 5 with a 15 with these dimensions, you could then put the betta in the 10 and the Dwarf gourami in the new 15 and naturally the fancy would stay housed in the 20g. I do believe that would keep them all happy.

I have a betta, fancy goldfish, and dwarf gourami. I used to house my King Betta in a 10 gallon tank, but due to abrupt complications he is now housed in a spare 5 gallon tank I had on hand. My dwarf gourami is residing in a 10 gallon tank, but I’m pretty sure they need 20 gallons. My fancy goldfish is in a 20 gallon, which I believe that’s okay. My problem is that I am aware that both my betta and dwarf gourami are in tanks that are too small, but my parents refuse to let me get a larger tank, even though I have a job. I do however do a 50% water change every week and check the parameters using the API master test kit. I am also planning on designing fully planted tanks for all of my fish. I am wondering, are these tanks simply too cruel, or is it okay that they are in smaller tanks then needed?? I am not worried about ammonia buildup or anything as such, I am just worried about the actual size of the tanks. Can anyone help??

A Betta in a 5 gallon seems fine. As far as I know 2.5 gallons is the minimum.
I thought dwarf gourami only get to be 2 inches and can be housed in 10 gallons.
The goldfish tank is the one I was unsure about. Depending on the type of fancy as I know there are some slightly smaller. I have heard 30 gallons recommended for one due to waste and size. My other concern might be loneliness.
But I agree with others that you are doing pretty well with what you have right now. I wouldn't say the fish are facing any abuse.

It's a king betta, I thought these were the big beasty ones? I could be wrong and confusing it with a giant betta though.

I thought dwarf gourami only get to be 2 inches and can be housed in 10 gallons.
I'm uncertain on a singular DG but I double checked on seriously fish, and they recommend a 15G for a pair, unfortunately they didn't mention one on it's own, I thought it would be best to give that size and be safe.

The goldfish tank is the one I was unsure about. Depending on the type of fancy as I know there are some slightly smaller. I have heard 30 gallons recommended for one due to waste and size. My other concern might be loneliness.
Now this I did not know, I will admit my knowledge on goldfish is slim as my tank is way to small to even think about them. I'll lock this into my memory bank.

Would like to see more of that betta!
He (?) looks very healthy .

But I agree with others that you are doing pretty well with what you have right now. I wouldn't say the fish are facing any abuse.

Dwarf gourami can get 3 inches.

It's a king betta, I thought these were the big beasty ones? I could be wrong and confusing it with a giant betta though.

I'm uncertain on a singular DG but I double checked on seriously fish, and they recommend a 15G for a pair, unfortunately they didn't mention one on it's own, I thought it would be best to give that size and be safe.

Now this I did not know, I will admit my knowledge on goldfish is slim as my tank is way to small to even think about them. I'll lock this into my memory bank.
Dwarf gourami are aggressive even with a pair, a pair needs a 30 gallon minimum, to give the female room to escape the male. And no multiple males should be housed together as they can eventually kill one another.

Upside down fish tank in all 3 tanks with 2 water bridges connecting the 3 tanks.
Problem solved, turn 3 studio apartment tanks into one big master bedroom.

5 gallon for 1 betta is fine. 10 gallon for 1 dwarf gourami is fine. Recommended gallons for one fancy gold fish is 20 gallons. 20 gallon standard or high is preferable as gold fish need taller tanks not longer tanks.

If it makes you feel better you can tell your parents i said all your tanks are grossly insufficient in size and should be upgraded to 100 gallons each;)

Here is some information that you find useful regarding goldfish tank size -

Hope this helps.

Also, sorry for another question, but I currently am unsure of what to feed my dwarf gourami. He is fairly new, and so far I’ve been feeding him betta buffet omega one pellets. I have attached a picture of all of the fish food I have on hand, should I be feeding him any of these foods and/or go and buy new food??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 174
He would also eat the tropical flakes and the bloodworms - but dried bloodworms should always be rehydrated by soaking them in a bit of tank water before putting them in the tank. And probably the shrimp pellets though it depends on if this particular fish will feed off the tank bottom.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back