Are my silver mollies pregnant?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Katlyn94

Reaction score
I have 2 silver mollies both I purchased recently. They are big and have squarish bellies. Wondering if they are possibly pregnant and if so how do I care for the fry?

Attachments

• IMG_3348.JPG
    IMG_3348.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_3349.JPG
    IMG_3349.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 175
Are the two pictures of the same fish or different fish? if it's two different fish, one is female but I can't tell about the other clearer pics would help

It's 2 different fish. They are both female I'll try to get better pictures

That's the 2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    675 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    717.5 KB · Views: 227
You can assume that all female livebearers are pregnant, all the time.

You don't need to do anything special for the fry; just make sure they have plenty of hiding places and do plenty of water changes.

I'm not sure what to look for and how to know when they may be ready to have them?

First of all, sexing livebearers is easy :) Female livebearers have a normal, fan shaped anal fin; that's the one on the fish's 'bottom', just in front of the tail.

Males, once they are mature, have that fin modified into a rod like structure called a gonopodium, that the male fish uses like a penis.

You need to know how to sex your fish so you don't end up with too many males. Male livebearers are, I'm afraid to say, sex mad, and if you have more males than females they can, literally, harass the females to death.

As for signs of pregnancy; well, in one way it doesn't really matter, as the mother fish and fry are better off in the main tank, rather than being put in a breeding box or net (they're usually too small for the female to feel comfortable, and too small for the fry to grow properly), but the female will get larger and larger until, in the last day or two, she'll do what's called 'squaring off', where her belly will look very square, like she's swallowed a box. Once you see that, you can guess the female will soon give birth.

The fry don't need any special care; just lots of good, clean water and plenty of hiding places so the parents don't eat them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back