Are my Pictus Catfish laying eggs?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

FishHobby99

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have 5. They came to me secondhand in a large tank (90 G ) with 15 cichlids and one big spondylitis cat. Their behavior changed about a week ago. Instead of congregating in a front corner of the tank and swimming rapidly, they moved to the far back wall and dug out a 3 inch deep ravine in the sand. I am seeing several white oval things that sure look like eggs.

However, all online sources say these fish are next to impossible to breed in captivity. A few successful cases involved 200 G tanks AND hormonal injections to stimulate egg laying. I could not find any pics or info on the eggs. Iā€˜m unable to get a decent pic. The only alternative theory is Iā€™m seeing oval gravel used by the former under that was under the excavated sand. But sure looks like eggs to me.

pictures and video?

There isn't much info on breeding lots of fish in captivity but it does happen sometimes. The main thing with pictus catfish is they need to be in groups and they need to be mature fish. Most people only buy one and get rid of it when it's bigger because they eat everything. You have an adult group and they could well be breeding. Filming the fish and possible eggs could be useful from a scientific point of view.

I am unable to take a pic much less a video. Iā€™m still using the iPad have not have time to fire up my digital Canon. They are at the tank rear, between the two parts of the funky pirate ship. To further complicate matters, thereā€˜s ~15 other fish there constantly obstructing the view.

The former owner said most of these fish are ~5 yrs old. These 5 cats are almost certainly adults. The rather dramatic change in their behavior suggests breeding, coupled with what appears to be eggs.

I may get curious enough to contact an ichthyologist who knows these fish. I have cold called on experts before (email), a zebra expert who happened to be in the field, Africa, and someone in Alaska who works on the American Bald Eagle. Both were very helpful and nice.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back