Are My Pearl Gouramis Going to Have Eggs?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

YewBush

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have two pearl gouramis in a 55 gallon aquarium with 4 female bettas, 4 peacock gudgeons, a bristlenose pleco, and some assassin snails. I got the gouramis when they were babies, and one turned out to be male and the other turned out to be female. The male's chest turned orange and he started chasing the female. I thought I just needed to get 2 more pearl gouramis when I could find them, but then they started feeling each other and rubbing against each other all the time. I am not prepared to breed these fish. Does it sound like they going to try to have eggs? If so, is there a way for me to get them to stop? Thank you!

Reactions: imw
I have two pearl gouramis in a 55 gallon aquarium with 4 female bettas, 4 peacock gudgeons, a bristlenose pleco, and some assassin snails. I got the gouramis when they were babies, and one turned out to be male and the other turned out to be female. The male's chest turned orange and he started chasing the female. I thought I just needed to get 2 more pearl gouramis when I could find them, but then they started feeling each other and rubbing against each other all the time. I am not prepared to breed these fish. Does it sound like they going to try to have eggs? If so, is there a way for me to get them to stop? Thank you!
i guess you just let the cycle happen: eggs hatch and free betta and chiclid food

If you post pictures of the fish, we can tell you what sex they are

If you post a video of them feeling each other, it might provide more information

When they breed, the male will build a bubble nest on the surface. It looks like a clump of tiny bubbles stuck together. When the female is ready, they breed and he collects the eggs and puts them in the bubble nest where he looks after them until they hatch. The babies hang around their dad for a couple of weeks after hatching and then slowly disperse around the tank.

If they d breed, other fishes in the tank will probably eat the young so I wouldn't worry about it.

If you post pictures of the fish, we can tell you what sex they are

If you post a video of them feeling each other, it might provide more information

When they breed, the male will build a bubble nest on the surface. It looks like a clump of tiny bubbles stuck together. When the female is ready, they breed and he collects the eggs and puts them in the bubble nest where he looks after them until they hatch. The babies hang around their dad for a couple of weeks after hatching and then slowly disperse around the tank.

If they d breed, other fishes in the tank will probably eat the young so I wouldn't worry about it.
i think it looks like the male nudging the female with his mouth?
idk i have seen this behavior with my squad of pearls

I honestly just tapped into the thread to see a picture of his tank 😂😂.

Also, nice to see another Peacock Gudgeon fan! I can't say much about if your pearls will lay eggs though, sorry

Sorry I haven’t replied. The female got a bit sick which caused them to stop for a bit. I gave her some medicine and she got better. She is just starting to interact with the male again. I will get a picture of it when I can. Thank you for the helpful advice!

Sorry I haven’t replied. The female got a bit sick which caused them to stop for a bit. I gave her some medicine and she got better. She is just starting to interact with the male again. I will get a picture of it when I can. Thank you for the helpful advice!
Sorry to hear she got sick. Hopefully she'll be back to her normal self soon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back