• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jccare

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Firstly I apologise for any mistakes I make whilst posting to this forum as this is my first ever post.

I am wondering if anyone could help me by informing me if the any of the two mollies of which i have included pictures are pregnant. I am also new to breeding and therefore would appretiate any further tips and help.

Thank you.
20190327_164513.jpg
20190327_164452.jpg
20190327_164445.jpg

They usually get big belly and then squarely form before giving birth. Did you just fed them?

Are you keeping them in those traps or were they just in there for photographing them?

Keeping them in such small containers will stress the mollies badly. They will either hold on to the fry or abort them too soon. They should be released from the traps as soon as possible.

Are you keeping them in those traps or were they just in there for photographing them?

Keeping them in such small containers will stress the mollies badly. They will either hold on to the fry or abort them too soon. They should be released from the traps as soon as possible.
Thank you for your concern and help, I had breifly guided them into the trap just for the picture and did not have a lid on the trap allowing them to swim out when they wished. I removed them from this as soon as I took the picture. Could there be any reasons which you may be aware of as to why they may not be breeding?

I'm glad to hear that :) So many people seem to use these traps so I couldn't be sure.

Thank you for your concern and help, I had breifly guided them into the trap just for the picture and did not have a lid on the trap allowing them to swim out when they wished. I removed them from this as soon as I took the picture. Could there be any reasons which you may be aware of as to why they may not be breeding?
Make sure you have males and females. Mollies Breed like crazy. Females can hold fertilized eggs for as long as they wish I believe. They will decide to give birth when they feel like. Have good water quality and make sure they don’t get stressed(fighting, etc)

In the wild, female livebearers hang out in large groups consisting of between 20 & 50 (but sometimes up to 100 or more) females. These groups have a pecking order with the biggest most dominant female ruling the group and she has a group of girlfriends who back her up. All the other females live in the group but are lower down the pecking order.

The groups of females move around rivers and waterways looking for food and places to hang out. As the groups move around a few males follow the group and try to breed with any females.

In the confines of an aquarium, the males will constantly harass the females and try to breed with them. This puts undue stress on the females and if there are too many males constantly pestering the females, the females can get sick and die.

It is preferable to keep livebearers in single sex tanks (either male or female but not both sexes together). If you want a group of males and females then have 1 male and at least 6 females (preferably 10 or more females per male).

Female livebearers can carry up to 6 sperm packets from breeding with males and they use 1 sperm packet to fertilise each batch of eggs. The gestation period (from the time she fertilises the eggs to when she gives birth to free swimming babies) is about 1 month. After which she will fertilise another batch of eggs using another sperm packet. This allows female livebearers to produce young about once a month for up to 6 months without any males being present.

If you want to breed livebearers then have a tank with females and let them give birth and use up all the sperm packets they are carrying in their body. Give them a few months without being pregnant and then add a male to the tank for a week before moving him out, or move the female/s into a tank with a male for a week and let them breed. Then move the females back into their own tank.

It is preferable not to move pregnant fish because you can stress them and even damage the unborn fry. If you have to move pregnant females, carefully catch them in a net and then use a plastic container to scoop the female and net up in some tank water. Move her (in the net in the bucket of water) to a new tank and then pour her into the new tank.

If the tank does not have any plants in it will stress them out. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best plant for livebearers. It normally grows on the surface but can also be grown in the substrate where it grows into a lovely light green shrub.

If you don't have any live plants then add a heap of artificial plants to provide them with shelter when they go into labour, and to give the fry somewhere to hide when they are born.

Do not put the female into a tank with males until at least 1 week after she has given birth otherwise the male/s will stress her out.

Try not to move the female for at least 1 week after she has given birth so she can heal up. If you have to move the female after she has given birth, use the method above for moving pregnant females.

Most female mollies do not eat their young if the female is well fed and there are plants in the tank.

--------------------------
If you have had the fish for more than 2 months and they haven't gotten fat, they either haven't been with a male or they have intestinal worms.

You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms.

Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 3-4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second and third treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

The water changes will remove most of the medication so you don't overdose the fish. The gravel cleaning will suck out any worms and eggs that have been expelled by the fish. Repeating the treatment for 3-4 doses at weekly intervals will kill any worms that hatch from eggs. At the end of the treatment you will have healthier fish. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back