FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Dopatri

Reaction score
Hey! This is a bit of an unusual question. But I recently bought two young female betta fish. I already have two existing Betta females in the tank, fully grown. These new bettas I bought look to be younger as they are smaller in size. However Iā€™ve noticed both of my new females on different occasions, staying near to one of my adult Bettas, who is the biggest one in the tank, and doing some sort of sideways hovering over the top of her. Almost like trying to wrap their body around her. There is never any reaction from the big Betta, she just either stays put or peacefully swims away. Iā€™m no breeding expert, but to me, it looks like they are confusing her for a male betta? Like I said sheā€™s the largest Betta in the tank so Iā€™m thinking theyā€™re mistaking her for a male? There is no fighting or anything and they are all completely peaceful with each other but Iā€™m just curious. What do you think?

Last edited:
Hey! This is a bit unusual question. But I recently bought two young female betta fish. I already have two existing Betta females in the tank, fully grown. These new bettas I bought look to be younger as they are smaller in size. However Iā€™ve noticed both of my new females on different occasions, staying near to one of my adult Bettas, who is the biggest one in the tank, and doing some sort of sideways hovering over the top of her. Almost like trying to wrap their body around her. There is never any reaction from the big Betta, she just either stays put or peacefully swims away. Iā€™m no breeding expert, but to me, it looks like they are confusing her for a male betta? Like I said sheā€™s the largest Betta in the tank so Iā€™m thinking theyā€™re mistaking her for a male? There is no fighting or anything and they are all completely peaceful with each other but Iā€™m just curious. What do you think?
Very strange ?

Now, now........ Don't start jumping to conclusions till you read the writing on the wall. And if the writing says, "Lezbe Friends" then YEP....... They ARE trying to mate! Remember.... Don't be a hater!
Haha! Iā€™ll be sure to keep my eye on them... for any more lesbian-type behaviour ??

If they are both young, one may be a female and one may be a male. They are hard to sex until they are at least 2 months old.

The two female (if they are indeed female) are not trying breed.

Ok people, let's get off the conjectures and insinuations about sexuality. This is a family friendly forum. Play nice, please.

If they are both young, one may be a female and one may be a male. They are hard to sex until they are at least 2 months old.

The two female (if they are indeed female) are not trying breed.
Iā€™ll have to take a close look at them and see if I can see any signs that will help me determine the sexes. I would say they are both about 1.5 inches long, would you say that is about the size of Bettas under two months old, or above? Or is it different for every Betta?

Ok people, let's get off the conjectures and insinuations about sexuality. This is a family friendly forum. Play nice, please.
Apologies! Just trying to have some light hearted fun. Meant no offence by it.

Iā€™ll have to take a close look at them and see if I can see any signs that will help me determine the sexes. I would say they are both about 1.5 inches long, would you say that is about the size of Bettas under two months old, or above? Or is it different for every Betta?
If they are 1.5 inches long, they are most likely around the age of 9 weeks, (a little over 2 months) although itā€™s hard to tell for sure.

Bettas usually start to mature sexually at the age of 3 months (approximately 12 weeks). That is when you will start to notice behavioral differences between the Betta and the other fish.

Have you noticed any aggression? Or just the strange behavior?

ā€”-

You can upload a video of the behavior, via YouTube. After you have the video made, copy paste the link here. (Trying to upload a video via the forum will not work)

No problem. You may continue topic of discussion.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back